Is This South Bend Worth $1000?

The motor tag indicates larger than 1 hp.

Stick with 240 vac equipment and avoid voltage converting types as well as the Chinese branded units.

We prefer Allen bradley and other have theirs so brand does not really matter that much.

But regardless of brand download the manual before buying to verify first that it will work with single phase supply then look for a table that shows which unit to use for your application.

Some need to be De - rated for single phase while others may not work at all or bi in alarm.

After that read the installation and configuration instructions to be sure you can figure it out.

Ours has a 3 wire control option that has run and reverse as 2 wires and stop as third.

The Drum Switch Has 3 Sets Of Contacts So Slight Mod To Insure ONE Set ALWAYS makes first and used for stop and the operation is just like factory.

A pot is located elsewhere for speed control.

Made a frame that is mounted to the bolts for the chip tray and everything (vfd in box, for bar and pot main power switch) all are mounted to frame so the complete lathe is stock other than longer bolts to support frame and modified drum switch.

Can do MPR minutes per revolution without back gear via vfd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
Thank you TQ60 for your good advice!

I doubt that the shop will actually give it away or sell it for $1.00.

Several years ago there was a Craigslist add for a Powermatic 12" cabinet saw for $1. My father called on the add and went to look at the saw. It was in bad shape. He asked the guy how much he wanted for it... $1. The guy even loaded it onto my fathers trailer with a fork lift for him. I still have that saw but it looks a darn bit prettier these days.

Pretty much every other add I have seen listing for $1... has been more "Come make me an offer".

I think you made out very well. I doubt I would have lowballed him either. Not having to handle moving it is worth $200 if you ask me.

I think you made out very well. I doubt I would have lowballed him either. Not having to handle moving it is worth $200 if you ask me.
Thank you Uncle Buck! You got that right on the moving. He doesn’t know it but I am going to slip him some cash for the move. He just volunteered to do that because I guess like a lot of you folks here on hobby-machinist are just good decent people.

Glad to hear you made the purchase. I think you'll be able to enjoy it for many years to come. When I purchased my Bridgeport I was going to try to bargain for a lower price, but when the owner offered "free delivery and setup" I didn't have the heart. A similar thing happened when I bought my Sheldon lathe. The owner was asking about the average price I'd seen on several other machines. When I found it was rebuilt including regrinding the ways, and had a ton of extras, I decided to keep quiet.

Not a few Craigslist adds are in the "just want it out of the garage" category. Other "too good to be true" adds are from scammers collecting information. Some are just taking a flier with an inflated price. I think every add has to be considered individually.

Back