It heating season again.

I've had 6 heating days since I first posted this thread. I've been working on repairing and moving deer stands so I haven't been in the shop much. I haven't decided on which winter project I'm working on this year but depending on what it is will determine how many days I have to heat the shop after deer season. I have a electric heater set at 45F to keep the pipes from freezing on the days I don't need to lite a fire in the furnace.

What is all that white stuff? We had it a long long time ago but i dont remember what its called.

20131114_174406_zpsb1664e48.jpg

Here's what i use to heat my shop. It's a perfection gas space furnace that i got for free. It's thermostat governed. I'd love to convert this thing to natural gas. Anybody know what I need to do to get that done. Is it just a matter of changing out a jet in the gas valve?

20131114_174406_zpsb1664e48.jpg

What is all that white stuff? We had it a long long time ago but i dont remember what its called.

Angel hair..... Yup, that's what it is, angel hair!!

Xalky, you have it correct, all you need to do is change the orifice where the gas goes through the air venturi. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly you have to put in a smaller one for nat gas. Check with your local heating guy, he should be able to get the right part and everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
This cold front that came through was a big change. I had to fill the tanks for my Reddy-heater.

We're insulating a 30x40 pole building for a shop and plan to use propane for heat. The walls will have 51/2 glass with osb inside and out. The ceiling is ten foot steel sheet and will have 12" plus of blown insulation.
Im trying to estimate how much propane it will take to keep it warm. Our house is 300 more square foot and has water heater / dryer on propane . We use just over 600 gallons a winter there so dialing down at night I'm guessing 200 gallons a year ? My wife is a book keeper for a propane company and she says it will cost $$$$. I hope to prove her wrong ☺

Back