It was a good idea

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
On my PM1440TV I hung the DRO scales cables nice and neat on the backsplash using tie wrap hangers. I made sure the surface was thoroughly degreased.

Well, today the cables were all laying on the bottom of the pan, all hangers peeled off.

I did not want to drill the backsplash, now it looks like I may not have a choice. Those hangers have center holes to anchor them

Here is before
20200302_172805.jpg

Here is today.
20200311_190013.jpg

I route them behind the backsplash, but my issue, one of them is just too short to route it any other way besides what I did originally. The other issue, the other is 6 ft too long.

Use regular JB Weld as a replacement adhesive for your hangers. Clean both surfaces and apply and hold in place with tape or what have you.
Pierre

I like the spec on the 3M VHB Tape. Amazon Prime will deliver a roll in by tomorrow.

In the meantime I mock up the cable layout, will use the 3M tape on the back of the hangers.

I prefer the cables to be laid out in right angles, but the short cable will not allow me to do so, this has to do for now.

20200311_214936.jpg

I wouldn't want to drill holes in the backsplash either. On my lathe there is a slight gap between the chip pan & bottom of the backsplash (I don't have a proper deep chip pan). I ran my cables through there. All the extra slack is bundled up behind the lathe. I like to hide my cables as best as I can so they are unseen & out the way so chips don't get hung up on them. I also use low profile zip ties cause I got mental issues. :D

I use those sticky mounting squares too but as you have found the double sided tape that comes on them is for light duty. I remove it & apply 3M tape to begin with.

You can buy 3M VHB at any big box hardware or auto parts store. They just call it a different name, called Extreme double sided tape. The foam is black instead of grey. But the grey stuff is pretty strong too as is the black Gorilla double sided tape. The Gorilla stuff is firmer than 3M which can be good or bad. I use both for different applications.

If I'm in doubt about the holding power of double stick tape, I'll put a small drop of cyanoacrylate in the middle of the sticky, then hold the object in place for a few seconds. JB Weld is probably just as good, or better, but takes a lot longer (hours) to set.

Nez, I have a big roll of the 3M tape. It holds the license plate on the front of my car at 160 mph, should hold the cables. I’ll bring it by tomorrow or Saturday, if your home.

Nez, I have a big roll of the 3M tape. It holds the license plate on the front of my car at 160 mph, should hold the cables. I’ll bring it by tomorrow or Saturday, if your home.

Jeff,

Thank you.

I won't be home all day tomorrow, the roll I ordered is supposed to be here tomorrow though. We shall see how that holds up.

160 MPH, that must be with your hot rod CTS.

Oh, I missed that you ordered a roll, it will work for you.
I used the tape on the last Vette before the Caddy, they will both easily hit 160 plus, always on the track,

Back