It works!

This is the 2x42 I have. Has a disc also which I use quite often. But I use the belt sander for all around general purpose.
Even without the belt grinder, just from the background, I have a serious case of "shop envy".
All you have done is reinforce my addiction!
I lurch from machine acquisition & restoration syndrome" into "shop environment refurbishment" mania.
I am lost! Utterly sunk!

@darkzero That's a design I can get behind!
A 2x42 would be my first choice but I can't deal with the $425 price tag for me to get one. I might see if I can modify the 2x27 into something that works better.

Ah I forgot you were in Canada. I was gonna look up some other options In case you were interested but I'm not very familiar with all the vendors in Canada & if shipping from the US would even be worth it. I'm sure you have done plenty of searching though.

Even without the belt grinder, just from the background, I have a serious case of "shop envy".
All you have done is reinforce my addiction!
I lurch from machine acquisition & restoration syndrome" into "shop environment refurbishment" mania.
I am lost! Utterly sunk!

Haha, thanks. But shop, I wish I had a shop! All I have is my little cramped work space in part of a 2 car garage but it's my "shop", I make do with what I can & I'm happy. :big grin:

Most everything in my workspace except for the lathe, mill, & work bench is portable so I can tuck them away when not needed.

Lol, I hear ya, we all have the same issues more or less but at least we can all share the same experiences together in comfort! :D

Ah I forgot you were in Canada. I was gonna look up some other options In case you were interested but I'm not very familiar with all the vendors in Canada & if shipping from the US would even be worth it. I'm sure you have done plenty of searching though.

Thanks, between shipping and exchange rate it usually ends up being a losing proposition for me.
I’ll take it apart and see what I can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yours may be a tad different but as I recall it was dead easy to adjust the belt arrangement on mine to be vertical. I think it was just a clamp type of thing that snugged around the nose of the motor on that end. Mine came with the belt thing set to horizontal.

-frank

Yours may be a tad different but as I recall it was dead easy to adjust the belt arrangement on mine to be vertical. I think it was just a clamp type of thing that snugged around the nose of the motor on that end. Mine came with the belt thing set to horizontal.

-frank

Thanks Frank, I’ll take a closer look over the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took 15 mins and pulled the belt side of the grinder apart.
The sheet metal is held on with three machine screws and the motor housing has number of threaded bosses around the circumference. The sheet metal housing has a couple of patterns of corresponding holes. Two of the holes allow the sheet metal housing to be positioned near vertical. It needs a third hole drilled in the sheet metal make it completely vertical but that's an easy fix.

Dumb question. What the best way to transfer the pattern of the holes in the motor housing to the sheetmetal housing?

I'm sure you make good with what you have. Let me know if I can help.

Your pattern question: Use a piece of laser printer paper, lay it on the holes and boss and use the side of a pencil to hilight all the holes and features.

oh, try carborundum or ceramic belts, they really help you get the most out of your sander.

I'm sure you make good with what you have. Let me know if I can help.

Your pattern question: Use a piece of laser printer paper, lay it on the holes and boss and use the side of a pencil to hilight all the holes and features.
Of course... I used to do that when I was a kid. Doh!

Back