It works!

@DavidR8 I have a friend that has a very well equipped shop, and he has one of those grinder/sander combos, and his has served him very well. How about a picture or 2, so we can compare it to Fred's? I live about 1/2 hour from his shop, so I won't be taking any pictures of his right away.

Note: I have a 3/4 HP 6X48 and a 1HP 6X48 belt sander. Despite temptation, you just can't lean super hard, even on those: they both have 1725 RPM motors, the smaller one has a much slower belt speed (more torque on the belt), and still you have to be patient. Besides, surface finish and other operations aren't a race. I prefer the slower removal rate, so I can get the result I want.

I get amused by the youtube guys with 3 and 5HP belt sanders having contests on removal rates. More HP is related to how much heat is put into the part, and how fast your fingers burn. For space savings, I think I'd prefer the grinder/sander type that you have.

I have a similar affair except it’s a 2x32 belt and a wheel instead of flat disc. I bought mine at KMS several years ago, a “General International” which roughly translates to “offshore”. I built a new rest for the wheel and do all my lathe tool grinding there, but must confess I don’t use the belt side at all. I have a 1x42 Delta that works better and that I’m more used to, plus as you have discovered the rest for the belt is garbage. With a new rest and stiffer platen though it might not be bad.

I have mine mounted to a 2” thick chunk of particle board about 20” square for some base stability. I would NOT run one without having it bolted to something.

-frank

This is essentially what I have.
I like it for the small footprint. The 2x72 machines are a bit large for my space.
Mods I can see doing is reorienting the belt so it's vertical instead of canted back. Making a toolrest that puts the work against the flat part of the belt instead of the roller also makes sense. Otherwise I'll be grinding a smaller radius into my bits than I would get on a 6" wheel.
Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 1.02.11 PM.png

I like the belt side of this one better. The disc side I'm not fussy about.
Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 1.10.22 PM.png

I haven't seen any of those but I think Fireball Tools' go kart belt sander would probably be the winner. :eek 2:

Stuff like that kind of irritates me. Seems like so much machismo for what purpose?

The builder is a welding fabricator by trade and seems like a really great guy. I watch his videos from time to time and I like his personality. That aside, this grinder will be really useful in his line of work, which is with mostly structural steel. It is certainly overkill for a hobby shop but that was never his intention.

Stuff like that kind of irritates me. Seems like so much machismo for what purpose?

Because for YT/Internet points & he can!

That belt sander is cool as hell but yes overkill. Was a nice project that he documented. Like Mikey said, that guy is a great guy & I watch his videos too. He makes his own somewhat unique squares that he sells.

Tim "The Toolman" Taylor would be proud.

Tom

This is essentially what I have.
I like it for the small footprint. The 2x72 machines are a bit large for my space.
Mods I can see doing is reorienting the belt so it's vertical instead of canted back. Making a toolrest that puts the work against the flat part of the belt instead of the roller also makes sense. Otherwise I'll be grinding a smaller radius into my bits than I would get on a 6" wheel.
View attachment 306789

I like the belt side of this one better. The disc side I'm not fussy about.
View attachment 306790

So the top one, the angle isn't adjustable? I thought it would be. The bottom is a popular design that many people use. It also uses 2x42 belts which is much more common than 2x27. Not very many different belt options available for the 2x27 belts.

This is the 2x42 I have. Has a disc also which I use quite often. But I use the belt sander for all around general purpose.

20191129_141320.jpg

@darkzero That's a design I can get behind!
A 2x42 would be my first choice but I can't deal with the $425 price tag for me to get one. I might see if I can modify the 2x27 into something that works better.

Back