It's cold out there

Thanks for the input guys. I have a 55k btu kero torpedo, it works great, just expensive. And I seem to run out at the worse possible time. But I guess I'll have to stick with what I have. I wish my garage was stick built, insulation wouldn't be a problem. Since its brick I would have to frame it then insulate, expensive and takes up (a small amount of) squart footage. If it wasn't for the noise and having a 21 month old daughter (and son on the way in 2 weeks) I would do a basement shop, but that's out of the question.
My garage is cement block walls. It was a bear to heat before I put insulation at ceiling level, R19 was enough to make a huge difference. I also tightened up all the windows and doors. I have uninsulated steel doors, I added 1 1/2" foil backed insulation into all the panels. Made sure that I used garage door stops with the rubber flaps on them and adjusted the doors so the don't flop around when it's windy, like right now. Also made sure that the bottom seals actually sealed. I had one spot where the floor dipped down about a half inch where air was leaking. I added some foam sticky tape to build it up more. The key is eliminate the drafts and try not to heat up the roof and attic space.

It was -12c or minus th thhthh 30 with the w w i wwi nd chchill !!
This morning I worked on putting my lathe together in an unheated single garage . I had to come in the house every 20 minutes so I could feel my fingers and my assembly.

Still cold from it....

:yikes:
Gold Stars there sir, such dedication !

Chris,
Do those have different settings for out put?

No it does not. I regulate the heat with distance. I keep mine on a small HF dolly. I fire it up about 6 feet from where I'm working, after a few minutes I get hot and push it back a few feet, ant then push it back further as I warm up. I usually have it at about 15 to 20 feet from me after a half hour and it stays at that distance. My shop is 30x52x17 with open eave vents and ridge vents so I'm not trying to heat the entire thing..

Chris

I truly feel for you guys.
This, (actually half this, one half I cut up for my aunt)
IMG_0498.jpg

Goes through this,

IMG_0206.jpg

To give radiant in floor heat in the house and shop. I just need to get from the house to the shop then take my coat off in the morning.
I manage to heat both buildings, the shop is 1700 square feet for about 7-800 dollars with of logs a year. But a lot of work to do it.

Greg

IMG_0498.jpg IMG_0206.jpg

Not too bad here at the moment, only 89'F
Whats that weird white stuff you have all over the ground?:laughinghard::whiteflag:

It's 6F here on its way to -1 or -2 later. I just came back out to the shop to feed the furnace another load of wood so it will at least be above 45 in here in the morning.

-13F up here in Vermont, should warm up to 14F tomorrow! It would make it more tolerable if there was some snow on the ground though

"Is that a Sotz? (hard to tell from the pic) I really miss that company. They were made up in Columbia Station, Ohio. Last kit I got from them I drove up to the door and picked it up. Those Sotz Kits would burn a log for a coons age and roast you half to death all the while."

i think it is a "us stove" kit , not 100% sure though , i found the kit at a yard sale gave 10 bucks for it .
it does put out a heck of a lot heat , adding the second barrel sure would help to conserve fuel
but then it becomes entirely to much heat heat for my small space .

i did get my ceiling insulated over the summer , but neither of my two garage doors are insulated or weatherstripped, next year i hope to actually get that done , i generally just take a few old towel's to stuff around the doors to slow down the cold air coming in if its colder then 40 or so outside .
and once thats done it takes between 15-40 minutes to heat the air up to t shirt temps depending on outside temp .

"Is that a Sotz? (hard to tell from the pic) I really miss that company. They were made up in Columbia Station, Ohio. Last kit I got from them I drove up to the door and picked it up. Those Sotz Kits would burn a log for a coons age and roast you half to death all the while."

i think it is a "us stove" kit , not 100% sure though , i found the kit at a yard sale gave 10 bucks for it .
it does put out a heck of a lot heat , adding the second barrel sure would help to conserve fuel
but then it becomes entirely to much heat heat for my small space .

i did get my ceiling insulated over the summer , but neither of my two garage doors are insulated or weatherstripped, next year i hope to actually get that done , i generally just take a few old towel's to stuff around the doors to slow down the cold air coming in if its colder then 40 or so outside .
and once thats done it takes between 15-40 minutes to heat the air up to t shirt temps depending on outside temp .

Ah, US Stove kits work pretty good, as I'm sure you know, but there is nothing like a Sotz. I had the double barrel kit with the thermostat dampener and it worked a treat. We roasted 24/7 :lmao:

Knowing now what I didn't know then, I'd of bought 15 or 20 of them. Weather.com says it's 1 out there right now and "feels like" -12... That's almost like real cold.

Mark

Sk1nner, I have a similar electric unit in my machine shop, its a 4K. The machine shop is a 14 x 20 addition we added to the house. This addition basement is a walk out cellar and is 2x6 framed with R19 wall and R? (9-inch ) in the ceiling to reduce noise as well as to insulate. Even the concrete walls a insulated with a foam insulation. Now the electric heat works well, but is costly. I only run it when I am actually working in there. I first open the door to the main house and allow some of the heat from the finished cellar migrate in. I then run the heater to keep it comfortable (68 or 70). I think if I had the room I would have a pellet stove. They are very efficient and reasonable to operate. The bags of pellets are easy to store and handle. You don't have the same mess as a wood stove. I like the thought of propane, but that also can be expensive as a sole source of heat.

Paul

Back