It's on backorder

We had to replace our fridge this summer after the old one (30 years old!) died. Did a little online research and innocently
started looking for one to buy. No stock anywhere, and I got the same story from everyone: the Chinese factories closed for covid and thus everybody was back ordered. I got lucky: a local place had a fridge left over when a commercial customer took one less than what they ordered. Not the one we wanted, but the food stays cold all the same. Only
had to eat out of the ice chests for a week. :)

I ordered some small metal stock from ebay. It came from like Wisconsin to Texas (here in this town). Sat at the local office for 3 days and then went to New Jersey for 2 days. Then it came back to Texas. Second day delivery only took 15 days.

I bought my wife a Maytag set washer and dryer in 1991. We were still using them when the fire destroyed them.
27 years and going strong. Raised two boys too.
Our new home came with maytag, these new machines don't hold a candle to the old stuff.

When we got married and bought a house we got a Maytag washer and Kenmore dryer used for as I recall $100 from a guy who repaired old washers and resold them. This was in 2000 but it was essentially the same pair of machines my Grandmother bought my parents when I was born, so they were potentially 30+ years old. They were still going with only one minor repair done by us (belt for the dryer drum) when we sold that house in 2013.

I like Maytag, but they are owned by Whirlpool now so hopefully they bought more than the name. The new ones have bluetooth, because you have to be able to monitor your laundry with your smartphone... :rolleyes:

We had to replace our fridge this summer after the old one (30 years old!) died. Did a little online research and innocently
started looking for one to buy. No stock anywhere, and I got the same story from everyone: the Chinese factories closed for covid and thus everybody was back ordered. I got lucky: a local place had a fridge left over when a commercial customer took one less than what they ordered. Not the one we wanted, but the food stays cold all the same. Only
had to eat out of the ice chests for a week. :)

Whirlpool / Maytag are allegedly still made (most likely assembled) in the US, but parts are probably "Globally sourced" so come from a variety of places including China. I was told the stores are having a really hard time setting delivery dates because factories are constantly opening and then closing again when they have an outbreak which wreaks havoc on schedules.

Been good here and we've been ordering a lot online. From dogfood to shop items.
One Amazon order got hung up in New Jersey months back.
Haven't had anything come FedEX ground though. But then they sucked before Covid struck.
Amazon orders are coming through both on USPS and UPS on time.
eBay doing fined also.
Haven't had any delays with USPS at all - amazingly.
Three orders from Nevada and they arrived within (3) days. End mills from Florida, two days.
Now we'll have to wait and see if they can handle ballots in the same manner.

Funny one, Honey ordered a $2 trinket from China, it arrived last week. She ordered it in Summer of 2018.
The package was beat all to h*ll. Must have got stuck in a conveyor somewhere, but she has it now...

Small nick-knack stuff still seems to still be available. But if you want something more substantial from sellers/suppliers, then "hang on Nellie".
I have been on the market for a mill drill/bench mill. About the time I make up my mind on a specific model, they are sold out, and they have months of delay before restock occurs. Or, I find one I like (which IS in stock), but they are out of the DRO and Pedestal. I am looking for one of the larger ones (340 to 415 pounds), but the market and supply is very chaotic right now. I have rolled through Plan "A" through Plan "G" at this point, and have started to actively dislike the process of trying to find something I actually like (and is in stock). A purchase like this should not have all the joy sucked out of it.

The used market in my area (Southern Arizona) is dreadful. If the mill is worth having, it is gone within hours (and I work during the day). If it is of
unknown condition, good luck even getting the seller to send a picture of the dovetails. Heck, good luck with just getting them to answer a request to come look at it.

Finding a lathe a while back was genuine fun. It was easy.
Selection came down to:
How much money do you have for the lathe and tools, what electrical power is available in your shop, how much space do you have, and what is the largest part you will machine. This narrowed it down to a few models (which were all in stock), a selection was made and money paid... it arrived days later. The Lathe has been nothing but fun ever since.

The weirdest one we had so far was LTL freight shipment from Laconia, NH to Burlington, VT. Three hour drive. Shipment was picked up, next day the status was delayed and rerouted. It was rerouted to Albany, NY. When we called and asked why, the reason given was, “COVID”. It showed up two days later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a 500k rolling mill sitting unused. Brand new but not commissioned by the vendor as they are not traveling due to isolation rules. In ordering service parts for our machinery, we are seeing back orders and slow deliverie in the last couple months and seem to getting worst.
Pierre

No no it's just a Chinese online marketplace, good for small inexpensive electronic goodies, tools, etc. Need metric stainless fittings, Arduino boards, memory chips, stepper drivers, ty-wraps, crimp lugs? that's the place if you can wait a bit
-M

Last edited:
Back