It's the darn taste! (way oil)!

Nothing tastes worse than brake fluid...

My own worst memory of dripping brake fluid was after I needed to use a torch to heat a brake coupling that would not come apart. It was the joint from steel line to flex line at the front wheel. The flex hose was already damaged, so no loss. I finally got it apart, but then wondered what the funny noise was.....only to discover that it was drips of burning brake fluid making really weird and long vvvvvvippppppp, vvvvvvvvvippppppp sounds as they went past my face. I'm lucky I never caught one of those.....
-brino

Nothing tastes worse than brake fluid...
-Bear
Agreed - and among them, there is a special place reserved for Skydrol. You don't have to actually get any in the mouth. Just be close enough to get a whiff, and you will taste! Vactra #2 is benign by comparison.

It got widely specified for aircraft hydraulics, I think because of it's less likely to ignite, but in every other way, it it was nasty. It cut through everything in sight, needed special seals, absorbed water like no other, and naturally, had to be replaced often. I could tell by the stripped paint around stuff where it was used, and I steered clear, because it made the chest tighten and wheeze for maybe several minutes.

Agreed - and among them, there is a special place reserved for Skydrol. You don't have to actually get any in the mouth. Just be close enough to get a whiff, and you will taste! Vactra #2 is benign by comparison.

It got widely specified for aircraft hydraulics, I think because of it's less likely to ignite, but in every other way, it it was nasty. It cut through everything in sight, needed special seals, absorbed water like no other, and naturally, had to be replaced often. I could tell by the stripped paint around stuff where it was used, and I steered clear, because it made the chest tighten and wheeze for maybe several minutes.

Been there... done that... it also burns like fire if you get it in your eye...

-Bear

Back