Jacobs 14N 0-1/2" Super Chuck , made in USA vs made in Spain?

If you find a good used Jacobs key chuck made in the USA. It should last you a life time. Money well spent and should not need replacing if properly used. Be aware that if you do any power taping with a keyless chuck. The tap is likely to come loose when in reverse…Dave

I'll check my drawers and see what I have . It's that time of year for me to clean house again ! :encourage: It's a beautiful day here in Md and I'm going to get the Shelties out for a walk , but I'm going to route thru the boxes later and see what I have left as far as un-needed tooling . My machines are long gone and I have what I need in at work .

I have chucks coming out my butt ! What are you looking for exactly ? :grin:

I don't want one that's been in there! :)

I might be interested in a good keyless with a straight arbor or that can take a JT6 as I have an arbor for that size.

For the OP, I picked up a Llambrich keyed chuck a while back that has been excellent.

As far as I am aware, the newer versions of the Jacobs super chucks are made in China, most of the reviews have been disappointing. I would not recommend a new one, and finding a NOS or one in decent condition can be pricey. I would recommend looking at the Llambrich chucks which are made in Spain, I have a few of their integrated arbor chucks and very satisfied with them. The CBB-16 (5/8'' x JT3) is a ball bearing keyed chuck that I would look at. Vertex makes some decent ball bearing chucks that are less expensive. Some of these come up on Amazon, as well as other tooling at very low prices, example below. I would recommend the Llambrich if you can get it at a reasonable price.
The NOS Jacobs chuck the piqued my interest is in fact made in Spain and it is a ball bearing key type chuck, I did bookmarked a Vertex chuck but wasn't sure of it's quality until you mentioned it.
would recommend the Llambrich if you can get it at a reasonable price.
That's another one I wasn't sure ,but now it sounds like a decent alternative.
This is the one I am looking right now:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ball-Bearin...acobs-Taper-14N-Size-Drill-Chuck/323161119675
s-l500.jpg

I don't want one that's been in there! :)

I might be interested in a good keyless with a straight arbor or that can take a JT6 as I have an arbor for that size.

For the OP, I picked up a Llambrich keyed chuck a while back that has been excellent.

LOL . Yep , I know I have plenty of Albrechts and Jacobs lying around . I'll get on it this afternoon . Dave .

Another chuck you guys might consider is from Glacern. I have one of their chucks in the tailstock of my lathe and it's been great.
Though I don't normally use it in my DP, I did check it for runout once and the needle barely twitched when I rotated the spindle. Glacerns are made with integral shanks in a variety of tapers including JT6, MT's, R-8 etc. I believe that Glacerns are made from
Chinese parts, but final machining is done in the US, though could be wrong about that part. My chuck looks like a keyless, but
actually uses a hook wrench to tighten.

https://www.glacern.com/drill_chucks

I believe that Glacerns are made from
Chinese parts, but final machining is done in the US, though could be wrong about that part.
From their website:

About Glacern Machine Tools
Glacern Machine Tools is a manufacturer and distributor of CNC vices and tool holders located in Southern California. Our goal is to help businesses grow by providing quality tooling at reasonable prices. Our high performance lineup of tools is designed to make tooling up easy without breaking the bank. You can place your order directly on our website 24/7 or if you prefer give us a call - our helpful customer support is available between 10-5pm PST. We sell direct in order to eliminate distributor costs & delays and our global network of manufacturing partners in places such as the United States, Europe, and Japan make it possible to combine high-grade precision tooling with affordability. Processes such as cnc machining, grinding, heat treating, assembly and final inspection are performanced locally. This allows us to maintain excellent quality control while reducing overhead. Browse our entire catalog of CNC tools directly on our website.

The NOS Jacobs chuck the piqued my interest is in fact made in Spain and it is a ball bearing key type chuck, I did bookmarked a Vertex chuck but wasn't sure of it's quality until you mentioned it.

That's another one I wasn't sure ,but now it sounds like a decent alternative.
This is the one I am looking right now:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ball-Bearin...acobs-Taper-14N-Size-Drill-Chuck/323161119675
View attachment 280168
If you want a 3/16 to 3/4" larger chuck consider yukiwa:https://www.ebay.com/itm/YUKIWA-DRI...h=item3602812a54:g:dJkAAOSwt7pXLNy4:rk:1:pf:0.
I have one and tir is .003" with 3/4", 1/2" and 5/16" gauge pins. Holds extremely well, including end mills for light cuts.
My 1/2" albrecht keyless is faster but much less holding power.

I bought a Glacern for my Jet DP hoping to cure my runout questions. I ended up with runout that wasn't as good as the cheap Chinese keyless chuck.

The eBay listing you linked to is not a Jacobs chuck, it is a Jacobs taper. The chuck is a Llambrich CBB-13, you can see the name is inked out on the box. I think they are very good chucks, I prefere a 5/8" for larger drills depending on the drill. My experience with their chucks has been great, at that price I would go for it. The eBay review was negative, maybe not experienced with rebuilding chucks. On the Glacern, I had one which eventually broke and I didn't care for the self tightening (keyless) operation, thus I have two Llambrich. one keyed, the other keyless. They work much better. There are a number of Asian ball bearing chucks, usually the nickle plated bodies and nitride treated jaws tend to be better quality.
drillchuck14n-08.jpg

Back