Jacobs 14N 0-1/2" Super Chuck , made in USA vs made in Spain?

According to yukiwa-seiko all chucks are made in Japan : Yukiwa Drill Chucks are manufactured based on our standard which is higher than Japanese Industrial Standards (JIS) B4634 . My most accurate and smooth operating is a Jacobs 8 1/2n made in USA stamped on chuck.

Hi Ken,

My personal preference is for Jacobs, Rohm and Galcern, in that order.
But be careful as some are B16 taper, and possibly Chinese copies.

According to yukiwa-seiko all chucks are made in Japan : Yukiwa Drill Chucks are manufactured based on our standard which is higher than Japanese Industrial Standards (JIS) B4634
FYI, what you quoted does not say Yukiwa chucks are made in Japan. Read it carefully.

Hi Ken,

My personal preference is for Jacobs, Rohm and Galcern, in that order.
But be careful as some are B16 taper, and possibly Chinese copies.
The quote that I posted from Glacern in post 17 above does not say that their tools are not made in China. Read it carefully. We all need to read things very carefully, lots of doublespeak out there.

The eBay listing you linked to is not a Jacobs chuck, it is a Jacobs taper. The chuck is a Llambrich CBB-13, you can see the name is inked out on the box. I think they are very good chucks, I prefere a 5/8" for larger drills depending on the drill.

I see, nice catch,, still it is a good price, slightly cheaper than Amazon, that Vertex is not too bad and it is available on Amazon Canada at a good price although it is temporarily out of stock.

According to yukiwa-seiko all chucks are made in Japan
It sounds like a good alternative but my heart is set on a chuck with ball bearing construction,although plain bearing chucks are not any cheaper . here's a link on why I insist on it:
https://www.newmantools.com/jacobs.htm

I have a half dozen Jacobs chucks, three are 14N from different years, including one 1970's vintage that I bought NOS in original box. The quality varies, and the newer chucks (after the '70s or '80s, I think) feel quite a bit different (sloppier) than the earlier chucks.

I got tired of buying three Jacobs chucks to find ONE that ran well. I spent more than I wanted to and bought an Albrecht, which is now my first choice. The Shars integral shank chuck with the TiNi jaws and silver body are good too, but the Albrecht locks up better.

As it turns out , I have chucks . I opened a drawer and found these . A pic will be loaded soon . I don't need them and all will go . If you see something you like , shoot me a pm . These are all old time , made in the USA long before the influx of imports .

I see, nice catch,, still it is a good price, slightly cheaper than Amazon, that Vertex is not too bad and it is available on Amazon Canada at a good price although it is temporarily out of stock.

It sounds like a good alternative but my heart is set on a chuck with ball bearing construction,although plain bearing chucks are not any cheaper . here's a link on why I insist on it:
https://www.newmantools.com/jacobs.htm
MSC sells an accupro made in Spain for $84.84 if you can get the old Enco discount. JT6 , 1/16 to 1/2" ball bearing chuck.New. I've only used the accupro precision shanks- and they are excellent quality.

Back