JB Weld

I have used it to replace stripped out threads in a piece of cast aluminum. Drilled the hole out, filled it up with JB weld and drilled and taped it for a 1/4-20 screw... I also cover my boots in the stuff when they start coming apart...
Ha - never had a bottle last more than six months. It’s an expoxy..lasts a long time.

Some how the tubes get separated and can only find one or the other when need them then have to go get a new batch. Gremlins in the house/shop. Never though about it for shoe repairs.

I think it lasts for years if not mixed.
Wonder if we'll all get free tubes for participating in this thread:D
M

Does anybody know the usable lifetime for the big tubes?
2-3years maybe??

I have been back and forth between living stateside and cramming my stuff into my cargo container in storage and living overseas for the last 20 years. I recently used a previously opened pack of JB-Qiuck to make several small repairs. Everything worked out, just needed a little extra cure time. That pack of JB probably came from HF in 1999 and was opened the same year. Heat cycled the extremes of Nevada climate for 17 years. Still worked. I did not expect that.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

When I had my auto repair shop I would occasionally get a car in for repair in which the harmonic balancer bolt was left loose on the crankshaft. These vehicles would have a destroyed crank and balancer where the pulley was pressed onto the crankshaft.
Proper repair was new crank and harmonic balancer. Needless to say the vehicles weren't worth the cost involved and in almost every case... the owners were scraping by week to week, barely paying their rent. A new or reman engine was a dream for these customers.
Long story short, I cleaned effected mating surfaces and loaded it up with J-B Weld.... Tightened the bolt securing the the balancer to crank and let it dry 48 hrs.
Of course, I informed the owners that this wasn't kosher and it's at best a patch. I also let them know that the engine crank was now welded to the balancer and they'd need a new motor. Forget about getting it off once I JB'd it.
I must have done 5 of these patches over the years.
I don't think a single one failed. One of these "repairs" was even on a diesel engine and the customer was still driving that car 4 years later. That's impressive because diesels put out incredible vibrations.
JB is impressive stuff.

Epoxy should keep virtually indefinitely if not mixed. If the resin or hardener crystallizes, it can be rejuvenated by heating with a heat gun.

I made a complete set of dentures, upper and lowers. Worst part was holding them in place on my gums until they cured but the fit was perfect. They worked great but I did look like Hell. ;) ;) ;)............................Bob

Thanks guys. I can just order the 10 ouncers and not worry about it’s longevity. I have several types of locktite that are over 20 years old and they still work the same as if they were new.

Some how the tubes get separated and can only find one or the other when need them then have to go get a new batch. Gremlins in the house/shop. Never though about it for shoe repairs.
Like shoes,

Emergency repair on 4x4 truck with nickle size slit all the way through gas tank. I jammed soap in the hole and capped it in JB Weld. It lasted monthes, at least. Never heard if they fixed it.

Back