Jeep project

Apparently, this axle is out of a '99 or later... Jeep changed the unit bearings and rotors during the '99 model year.

From what I'm reading, the early '99 and previous years had a 'composite' rotor... cast rotor with a steel center section. Late '99 and later years had a solid cast rotor which was shallower from the inside of the center to the back of the rotor.

Fortunately, the calipers and pads are the same...

-Bear

Ah, so you're going to be in the same shape I'm in when I go to order parts-

Make and model? It's an 88-1/2 Suzuki Samurai
What do you need? Rear caliper rebuild kit
I don't see a rear caliper here. Do you have the year right? Yes, but the brakes are from a '81 Subaru GL wagon.
But this is for a Suzuki? Right.
Uh-huh. What else? Umm, a reservoir cap for power steering. For the Suzuki.
Um, no, I can't find that, either, computer says no power steering. Do you have the year right? Yes, but my power steering is from a '79 Toyota Celica, manual trans model only.
Anything else? Yeah, an air cleaner for a 1999 Hyabusa, and a horn button from a '85 Mitsubishi pickup...

Ah, so you're going to be in the same shape I'm in when I go to order parts-

Make and model? It's an 88-1/2 Suzuki Samurai
What do you need? Rear caliper rebuild kit
I don't see a rear caliper here. Do you have the year right? Yes, but the brakes are from a '81 Subaru GL wagon.
But this is for a Suzuki? Right.
Uh-huh. What else? Umm, a reservoir cap for power steering. For the Suzuki.
Um, no, I can't find that, either, computer says no power steering. Do you have the year right? Yes, but my power steering is from a '79 Toyota Celica, manual trans model only.
Anything else? Yeah, an air cleaner for a 1999 Hyabusa, and a horn button from a '85 Mitsubishi pickup...
Good grief; how many shop manuals you need for that almost...Suzuki Samuri?

It's a Suzumitsuyotabarueep now, and it gets confusing to keep straight. Was it Subaru calipers, suzi rotors and pads, or was it Subaru pads and suzi rotors? It was so much easier shopping at the junkyards. That looks like it'll fit with a cut here and a bracket there...

It's a Suzumitsuyotabarueep now, and it gets confusing to keep straight. Was it Subaru calipers, suzi rotors and pads, or was it Subaru pads and suzi rotors? It was so much easier shopping at the junkyards. That looks like it'll fit with a cut here and a bracket there...

One of my bikes is like that. Have 3 OEM manuals and 2 Palmer books. Lots of head scratching what fitted what. But it's my favorite.

The axle came back out this morning... I guess I had tunnel vision yesterday. I simply rolled the replacement axle in and bolted it up... sometime in the middle of the night, I remembered ordering new control arms. They were still neatly boxed up in the shop...

GEEZ...!

So... I took it back out and installed the new arms, and installed a new tie rod end while it was sitting on my lift cart.

It's back in now, everything is connected and tight, and the Jeep is resting on the axle on jack stands waiting for new brake rotors. I've also ordered new shocks, but they haven't arrived yet.

I'll go ahead and go pick up the rotors and get the brakes assembled today... maybe the shocks will get here by then.

-Bear

Everything is finished... but the shocks aren't here yet. Otherwise, it's ready to put the wheels back on.

I guess that will wait until next week...

I'm tired... lol

-Bear

I installed the shock absorbers and wheels yesterday...

This morning I did a quick- shade tree mechanic- tape measure front end alignment... I set the toe-in at about 1/4". I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to be (and I'm too lazy to look it up), but that's close enough to get it inspected. After I get it legal, I'll drive it to an alignment shop and get it done right.

I still need to reinstall the front driveshaft... then, hopefully it will be ready to be inspected.

I may try to do that next week.

-Bear

No reason to pay for an alignment on a straight axle 4x4... ever. Caster and camber are locked by design, all that leaves is wheel centering and toe... which should be 1/4" on 31 inch tires. You're done!

So all good now?

Back