Jim F . Sending this your way !

1" so far, calling for more.....
Slid around quite a bit to and from the store.

Just logged on , it'll be a fun night . NO WORK ! :)

I like snow, so much fun watching the buffuns that have no clue. You would think that living in WI that most people would have a clue about snow, but they don't.

It was always shocking to count the number of cars/trucks that slid off I-25 between Denver and Ft. Collins. And most were 4WD. :)

Reminds me of a time back in the 80s, we were in a 3/4 ton 4x4 headed to shovel the company president out and there was a small 4x4 truck stuck in a shallow ditch. We chained to it, popped it out. We were still in 2W! Had a good laugh as we drove away.
Pierre

It was always shocking to count the number of cars/trucks that slid off I-25 between Denver and Ft. Collins. And most were 4WD. :)
Welp, 4WD doesn't stop or steer any better than RWD. Seems like a lot of folks the drive 4WD don't understand that. That being said, I love my 4WD Ram Laramie.

the blizzard of 1998 in Denver, I had no problem getting around in a 4x2 F-250........

Welp, 4WD doesn't stop or steer any better than RWD. Seems like a lot of folks the drive 4WD don't understand that. That being said, I love my 4WD Ram Laramie.
Many confuse all wheel drive with 4 wheel drive, they are not the same thing. 4x4 is a lot better than AWD.
With my Chevy Silverado 4x4 I have done some testing in a snow covered parking lot and on glare ice.

My truck will stop faster in 4 wheel drive than it will in 2 wheel drive. The anti lock brakes are what is to blame for this. In 4x4 the wheels are all linked together so no one wheel can stop turning thus the anti lock never comes on to limit braking power to the wheels that still do have traction, hence a noticeably faster fully controlled stop. Even if whil in 4x4 you mash the brake peddle to force activation of the anti lock, it will still give a lesser reduction in brake pressure to allow a faster stop.

Driving the logging roads in deep snow with 4x2 causes the front steering to be a bit loose so it wants to push out if you are to fast in a corner. When in 4x4 the front wheels are pulling the nose of the truck around the corner and it handles noticeably better.

I wonder just how many of those 4x4s in the ditch were driving in 2 wheel because the 4x4 sucks gas. In my truck I get about 20 mpg combined, when in 4x4 I get just 7 mpg. This is my 4th Chevy 4x4 and they all had similar difference between 2 and 4 wheel drive.

Back