Just about to order a Diamond Tool Holder

If I had the money I would buy one just to see how well or poorly performed compared to a normal tool in the holder. Using the down force of the lathe through the bit is a good idea so I am interested in how it works too!!!

Bob

Maybe I didn't see it on their web site but I have a job on my lathe using some 1 1/4" dia. titanium, Very interesting idea For whatever your cutting!
Later

From what I have read and heard they are supposed to be the bees knees, but I do not have the funds available to get one. There are a number of articles and plans in various places on the web laying out how you can make your own. I hope to make one soon, but there are other projects taking priority right now.

G'Day Jim,
"are these as good as what they are talked up to be?"
Depends,
For a newcomer to machining they are a godsend because the grinding jig is absolutely foolproof and you can be making chips 5 minutes after you get your hands on one, for someone with a bit of tool grinding experience it may be a different matter as they are a fairly expensive proposition and for the same money you can buy a couple carbide toolholders, a pack of inserts and a heap of HSS toolbits to grind your own specialized tools, I have had one for a few years now and use it from time to time, but it's not my "go to" tool, it's a personal choice since all the usual factors such as size of machine, speeds available, material being turned have to be considered, also having one available means you are never going to get any better at tool grinding.
Regards,
Martin

P.S. : An undocumented trick is to turn the bit 90 degrees clockwise in the holder and use it as a "vertical shear" tool for fine finishing gummy materials.

Lots of people build their own. Isn't that part of the fun?:))

I have both the unit from eccentric engineering (diamond tool holder) as well as the Wemberly unit. The diamond seems to work better for me. It is usually the first tool that I use. I grind all of my own HSS bits but find that I can talke larger cuts with the diamond that the bits that I grind. The video's are using "free-machining" steel (probably something like 12L14) that would cut well using a hatchet. When using the diamond, I can get a better finish from my hand ground bits but can't take as deep a cut without getting BUE on my tools. With the diamond, You can just rotate your tool post and change from turning to facing without changing anything else. The Wemberly is supposed to be able to turn and face without moving anything. I will have to put that one back on the lathe and do some more testing. They are both more expensive than they should be. The diamond is easier to re-sharpen (about 2 minutes) than the Wemberly (takes too long to set up). I have a new grinder with tilting tables so I may give the Wemberly another go.
The diamond was recommended by a friend. The diamond is the only thing he uses. (with some extra grinding you can do threading too) My lathe is a SB Heavy 10. BTW - diamond also makes a LH tool.

I use a homemade one on my Craftsman 109. I like it very much, use it more than a normal tool.

Back