Just about to order a Diamond Tool Holder

I made two versions which worked very well, the second was more to my liking.
Yesterday I just hit the sweet spot with speed and feed and took a cut the full width of the side of the tool in leaded steel on my Atlas with a super finish and 1" long curly chips. I made them so I don't have to turn the tool post for turning or facing, they do both equally well.

As others have said making your own rather than forking out cash is very egofeedo it was a big jump in my learning curve (sometimes I make up my own words as well)

My first try all made on lathe, you can see I got the grinding angle wrong and it got a little hot, and the washer was a mistake, easily sorted and it worked well after that .

DSCF9361.JPG

Second try after I got a shaper

DSCF3588.JPG

However you get one you won't regret it they just save so much time!

Bernard

DSCF9361.JPG DSCF3588.JPG

Last edited:
Last edited:
One size does not fit all. I have the Diamond it has its uses. As always its the application that dictates the needs.
Grind mine,carbide inserts, HSS inserts, what ever it takes,expierment.
Results that suit the operater important.

I have one and it is fantastic! Saves hours of grinding and fussing around. Super easy to sharpen and set-up. Face and turn with the same tool and have a sharp corner between them! Interrupted cuts are not a problem. It is pricey, but I have never regretted spending the money!

I'm in the US and I got mine here: http://www.bay-com.com/cid/35-1/DIAMOND_TOOLHOLDER.html

Dave

Last edited:
I made a holder about 4 years ago and I use it most of the time, my lathe is a small one 7"x12" so I need tooling on the light side.
I grind other cutters from HSS, I use them mostly for interrupted cuts and for cutting where the Diamond tool will not work.
The construction of the cutter is rather basic and most people can make there own, the key is the angles and even then being off somewhat
really does not matter. In my mind use smaller versus larger HSS blanks.
I hope that this helps somewhat!

I have made a couple of these. No matter how many screws I use to clamp the tool, if I try for a heavy cut (over .015") the tool slides down. I haven't been happy with mine.

Randy

I found a like new diamond holder in a large lot of tooling I bought from a dying friend a couple of years ago. I used it a few times and as I remember I had to extend the tool quite a bit to make it fit in an AXA holder. I used it a few times and went back to hss tools I grind. I will have to look for it and try it some more.
I never tried the grinding jig. I have a couple of the import tool grinders so grinding hss steel is easy for me.

Joe

They are BETTER than their advertising. I've had one for 20 years or so, ever since I saw Kouhoupt's review- it's my go-to lathe tool, don't use anything else except in a special purpose pinch. Cheap, cuts anything, great finishes if you'll polish the tool. Buy both the left and right versions. Dirt cheap to run, too- a 3" stick of quarter inch square cobalt M2 lasts forever.

Back