Just about to order a Diamond Tool Holder

I didn't say bad chips. I said long,continuous chips. If you like long,continuous chips they are not bad. And,with Christmas coming,you can cut the long,spiral chips up,spray them gold,and make icicles to put on your Christmas tree!!:) We actually did that one time for the museum's Christmas party. But,we used brass.

Don't know if I should say this, but I had a 12 1/2 foot long coiled chip hanging like a garland in my shop. I doubt I'll ever see it again. It was removed with all my stuff after the fire. It was cut on the Hercus 9" lathe, possibly with a tangential tool. Let's not get a competition going. I estimated that, if it could be straightened out without breaking, it would have taken a piece about 118 feet long to wind it up. No machinists were injured in the making of that chip.

Don't know if I should say this, but I had a 12 1/2 foot long coiled chip hanging like a garland in my shop. I doubt I'll ever see it again. It was removed with all my stuff after the fire. It was cut on the Hercus 9" lathe, possibly with a tangential tool. Let's not get a competition going. I estimated that, if it could be straightened out without breaking, it would have taken a piece about 118 feet long to wind it up. No machinists were injured in the making of that chip.

My chip is longer than your chip.:lmao: I make SS boat shafts. Nothing will break up chips on that stuff.
Now back on topic, I don't have a diamond tool holder but I do wan't one. I have seen the vidios and checked out the website. Looks like grinding a chipbreaker on those tols would be a pice of cake. There is outher ways to break chips besides grinding.

I've been using a Diamond for about 8 years. It is my go to tool on both my South Bend 9 and my Atlas 12x36. The surface finish is superb. I normally cut steel with a little bit of brass, in fact I've never actually turned aluminum on the lathe or cut it in the mill since I've been machining. I guess that is a shortcoming I should correct soon. The grinding jig on the Diamond makes sharpening a breeze. I normal sharpen 10-12 sticks of HSS about once a year and just swap them out when they dull. I'm still using the same HSS bits I started with in 2008 so tooling cost is really, really minimal. I use a diamond grit hone to finish off the edge.

I bought a couple of the Wimberly holders based on some reviews. I get good results from them but the sharpening process is finicky and even with a tilt table carbide grinder fitted with Alox wheels, I still have issues getting it right. I've been considering designing a sharpening jig for those bits too. There have been a few times turning small parts close to the chuck that the Wimberly could get into position to make a cut when the Diamond tool holder would have contacted either the chuck or the workpiece, so owning both has been an advantage.

Between the two I prefer the Diamond holder. I'm planning on buying a 20mm R&L set for my South Bed 16as soon as I get it cleaned, painted and reassembled and will probably order a LH 9.5 Diamond to go with my trusty RH one I've been using all these years. If funds would permit I probably should buy a second 9.5mm set for the 9A as moving the AXA block the Diamond lives in between the lathes has me resetting tool height every time I switch machines.

On the same tangential tool holder note, has anyone ever tried making a tangential threading holder? Like shown on this site?

http://home.earthlink.net/~lhartswick/Diamond threading tool/

I bought the triangular HSS tool bits from MSC and am going to give it a try. MSC was rather proud of them.

James
Sherman, TX

On the same tangential tool holder note, has anyone ever tried making a tangential threading holder? Like shown on this site?

http://home.earthlink.net/~lhartswick/Diamond threading tool/

I bought the triangular HSS tool bits from MSC and am going to give it a try. MSC was rather proud of them.

James
Sherman, TX

That's interesting James, not seen one of those before and it looks like a good idea, I'll be watching your progress on this.

Bernard

I ground a square bit for threading as described by the Diamond tool people.
It was a bit tricky to get the right angle for a 60 deg. thread but once it was done it worked fine.
But is not my first choice for threading.

George Wilson et al

I have a tangential tool holder dated 1866 :stanley & ?????/" nothing new here 148 yrs back

ground down a bit to 9/16 to fit

best wishes
doc

FWIW a HS bit ground like a carbide A bit turns & faces just fine

Back