Just added a 101.21200 to my shop out west

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've been suffering lathe withdrawals since my Seneca Falls Star 9" is 2000 miles away. I found this little guy on Craigslist, not the upgrade I've been hoping for but it should keep me busy for a little while.

00V0V_euasMr5JBDV_1200x900.jpg

She's rusty but the spindle turns smooth so hopefully just a clean-up and paint.

John

So, I'm this far into it today.

1012.jpeg

Just wondering what the consensus on bearings is. They seem tight and smooth, should I replace them anyway since I'm this close?
I may have to drive the spindle out with the chuck attached if I can't get it loose, would that be a deciding factor?

Thanks,

John

Rust on the headstock of those lathes, is a good sign. Indicates it is a cast iron/steel, instead of the cast Zmak. Beyond cosmetics, it does not look bad. I would not worry about the bearings, untel you make your first chip, and see if there is any problems. I have done tons of stuff with the same lathe, and the older Atlas 618. Clean it up, and enjoy it.

That's correct. It is a shame that the Atlas lathe line started out about 1932 with a 9" with two or three parts made out of Zamak that they soon learned shouldn't have been and and replaced them with cast iron parts. And then 48 years later, someone else thought that they would get a raise and presumably an attaboy for saving money by making the MK2 headstock and legs out of Zamak and effectively killed their 6" business.

Yeah, I wouldn't even have gone to look if it was the Zamak unit. I understand they didn't make too many of those but it probably did kill any chance of keeping the line going. I paid $280 for it and feel like it was a decent deal, paid $300 for my Star but it has plain bearings so at least this is better in that department.

Any tips on getting the chuck off other than more PB Blaster and maybe some heat?

Cheers,

John

You may have to pull the spindle in order to do it safely.

You may have to pull the spindle in order to do it safely.
Does it just press out the front like it looks? I have the pulley and back gear off.

Correction, Gear, spindle back is still on.

Last edited:
I would leave the bearings as is till later and focus on other things- if it is like mine it'll need attention in various other places
It uses a 2L size belt- USA bearings and belts carries them- I think it's a 29" size but depends on your motor and mounting position
-Mark

His reason for wanting to pull the spindle is to break loose and remove a stuck chuck, not necessarily to change the bearings.

REF: Atlas Lathe 06 3950 MK2 CI Ball Rev 1.pdf file in Downloads, page 15.

Mathewsx, I've never actually had my hands on a MK2 but my assumption from looking at the exploded view parts list is that you would first remove everything on the spindle external to the left side of the headstock. From your description you would next loosen the collar set screw and remove the 123-140 threaded collar. Then remove the 341-374 Large Spindle Back Gear and two #404 Woodruff Keys. One of the keys may already be removed. Then from the drawing, it looks like the spindle will go out the right side of the headstock, leaving the left hand bearing in the left end of the headstock and maybe the right hand one, although it bay come out on the spindle.

Anyway, with the spindle out of the headstock, you should be able to get a strap wrench around it near the right end. Put a large piece of hex stock in the chuck with the jaws solidly tightened on it. If you have one, you can now use an impact tool (either air or electric) and socket on the hex stock to break loose the chuck.

His reason for wanting to pull the spindle is to break loose and remove a stuck chuck, not necessarily to change the bearings.

REF: Atlas Lathe 06 3950 MK2 CI Ball Rev 1.pdf file in Downloads, page 15.

Mathewsx, I've never actually had my hands on a MK2 but my assumption from looking at the exploded view parts list is that you would first remove everything on the spindle external to the left side of the headstock. From your description you would next loosen the collar set screw and remove the 123-140 threaded collar. Then remove the 341-374 Large Spindle Back Gear and two #404 Woodruff Keys. One of the keys may already be removed. Then from the drawing, it looks like the spindle will go out the right side of the headstock, leaving the left hand bearing in the left end of the headstock and maybe the right hand one, although it bay come out on the spindle.

Anyway, with the spindle out of the headstock, you should be able to get a strap wrench around it near the right end. Put a large piece of hex stock in the chuck with the jaws solidly tightened on it. If you have one, you can now use an impact tool (either air or electric) and socket on the hex stock to break loose the chuck.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Possibly take a couple of pieces of aluminum or hardwood and drill a hole just smaller than the spindle (through two pieces making a split fixture) that I can clamp into my vise.

The biggest thing I can think of is not being in a hurry. I'll get it done but rushing might make it take longer....

Cheers,

John

Back