Just bought a PM835S!

I hope it's not that expensive

Also, I wonder if the brake handle will stop the motor if it has a VFD

It will, if you disable the auto braking in the VFD. This is what I did on my 935.

I forgot to ask. Is this thing gonna be hardwired to a disconnect or do I need to put in 220v outlet?

Also, I have plenty of 12-2 romex, but no 10-2. Is 12-2 going to be good enough? What amp breaker should I use?

I'd assume you'd be setting this up on a 20 amp circuit. I'd run some sort of conduit and either direct wire it or install a 6-20, 20 amp/230 receptacle. Confirm the amperage but this would be normal for single phase this size. I'm running a PM-1054 on a 20 amp circuit direct wired with that flexy metal conduit straight in from my garage sub-panel. Regular 12 gauge wire is better than romex through conduit if you go that route.

I'm planning on running romex over the ceiling in the garage and 3/4" rigid conduit coming down from the ceiling onto either a single gang box or a disconnect with a flex conduit going to the mill.

Just received a reply from PM. They do not have 3 phase motors for the PM835S. Only for the 935, and they're $500

Amazon seems to have some 200v 3 phase motors. Is anyone familiar with how to choose a motor so it'll fit?

They want $600 for the motor if I remember correctly. I'm getting along changing belts just fine. Eventually I'll spend the bucks to switch the motor to 3 phase.

PM says they'll have a 3 phase option for the PM835 sometime March of next year. They'll also sell the motor then, I'll be buying one when they do.

The 835 is only available in a stock single phase model, the PM-935 and 949 do come in single and 3 phase motors. I do recall a thread where an 835 owner switched out the motor to 3 phase with a VFD, but it was not a direct swap (needed an adapter plate). Probably not worthwhile vs. getting it with a 935TS, which are on back order. I am finding that many machine vendors and electronic distributors are out of stock on many items, looks like it will be for awhile. I prefer 3 phase motors, they last much longer and you can do frequent start/stops w/o burning up the start capacitor.
I bought a 3-phase motor for my 835 for PM. It swapped in directly, no adapter plates needed.

Do you have a link to the motor?
No. I just contacted PM directly by email and gave them my order.
The motor is identical to that on their higher-end mill (the PM-935TS). Here is the invoice:

$_109.GIF

Quality Machine Tools

701 Parkway View Dr. Pittsburgh, PA 15205 United States
Phone: 412-787-2876
sales@machinetoolonline.com

INVOICE

Paid
Invoice #:
Invoice date:
Aug 16, 2018

Due date:
Aug 16, 2018

Amount due:
$0.00

Bill To:

DescriptionQuantityPriceAmount
3 Phase Motor for PM-935TS Milling Machine1$399.00$399.00
Subtotal$399.00
Shipping$48.55
Total$447.55
Amount paid-$447.55
Amount due$0.00 USD

They don't have the motor in stock anyway, until March of next year.

Are there markings on that 3phase motor you got from PM?

Last edited:
Back