Just bought a PM835S!

They don't have the motor in stock anyway, until March of next year.

Are there markings on that 3phase motor you got from PM?
Just what you would expect. 3HP and 3 Phase, etc.
You could use any 3HP motor but you would have to transfer the pulley and adapt it and the motor. Shouldn't be too hard as it has a flat face and only two mounting holes.
Well worth the move to 3 phase and a VFD. So flexible, especially with back gear.

I just got done adding a dedicated circuit for the 835S in my garage. Used 10/2 romex on a 30-amp breaker.

I opted to using a heavy duty 2-pole 30 amp switch on a 1 gang from an EMT dropping down from the garage ceiling.

I just got done adding a dedicated circuit for the 835S in my garage. Used 10/2 romex on a 30-amp breaker.

I opted to using a heavy duty 2-pole 30 amp switch on a 1 gang from an EMT dropping down from the garage ceiling.

I used 12-2 romex and a 20 amp breaker. Nothing wrong with overkill.

I used 12-2 romex and a 20 amp breaker. Nothing wrong with overkill.

Do you have a DRO on your quill? I've always wondered how knee mills measure the quill feed accurately to within .001 without one. Most I've seen don't have it.

Do you have a DRO on your quill? I've always wondered how knee mills measure the quill feed accurately to within .001 without one. Most I've seen don't have it.

I set my quill depth stop with enough travel to clear my part in the up position, and the drill touched off on the part, back off the quill, and then bring my knee up to set the depth.

I guess I gotta figure out what DRO to buy for my quill then. I loved having it on my PM25MV.

I guess I gotta figure out what DRO to buy for my quill then. I loved having it on my PM25MV.

I was going to buy one but I'd rather have easy use of my depth stop. To easy without the quill dro to bother.

I paid for the liftgate service, but I'm worried the crate will be too tall to be taken into my garage. I have a regular 2 car garage in vegas.

Shipping Dimensions: LxWxH 48”Wx48”Lx80” H

Just measured from the floor to the top of the opening of my garage and it's 81.5"

If the guy can't get the crate into my garage, I have no way to getting it in if he has to drop it off at the driveway.

Last edited:
The 835 is only available in a stock single phase model, the PM-935 and 949 do come in single and 3 phase motors. I do recall a thread where an 835 owner switched out the motor to 3 phase with a VFD, but it was not a direct swap (needed an adapter plate). Probably not worthwhile vs. getting it with a 935TS, which are on back order. I am finding that many machine vendors and electronic distributors are out of stock on many items, looks like it will be for awhile. I prefer 3 phase motors, they last much longer and you can do frequent start/stops w/o burning up the start capacitor.
I ordered a pm-25mv a few weeks back and those are expected in the next couple of weeks. The guy told me that 40 unit shipment would likely be sold before it even arrived.
I know the OP is excited about his new addition. Hopefully everything fits when it arrives at his home.

I paid for the liftgate service, but I'm worried the crate will be too tall to be taken into my garage. I have a regular 2 car garage in vegas.

Shipping Dimensions: LxWxH 48”Wx48”Lx80” H

Just measured from the floor to the top of the opening of my garage and it's 81.5"

If the guy can't get the crate into my garage, I have no way to getting it in if he has to drop it off at the driveway.
I had to uncrate mine in the driveway and then lift it off the pallet it was on.
The crane I used could then pick it up (not using the eye hook on top) and move it into the garage (very low door).
If you don't have a crane and some slings (I used a 2-Ton and slings from HF) then you either need to get one, or a whole lot of people wearing masks and carrying big levers and lots of 2X4 blocks, plus steel rollers.

Back