Just bought an old 1994 -12 X 36 Enco Lathe 110-2075

Got the DRO bracket fabricated. I drilled and tapped the top cover 8-32

The people at "TOAUTO" have been great! They checked in several times to ask me if everything went ok with their DRO, The other company I bought the magnetic scale for the x-axis from is ignoring me, I am going to give them a couple more days, And then I am going to let people know who not to deal with.

Attachments

• DSCN4414.JPG
    DSCN4414.JPG
    368.8 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN4415.JPG
    DSCN4415.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN4416.JPG
    DSCN4416.JPG
    389.2 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN4417.JPG
    DSCN4417.JPG
    374.1 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN4418.JPG
    DSCN4418.JPG
    396 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN4419.JPG
    DSCN4419.JPG
    331.1 KB · Views: 64
Dang look at you go... Are you going to install a fluid pump too...?

Dang look at you go... Are you going to install a fluid pump too...?
No, I had never mentioned doing a coolant pump. Coolant systems aren't really needed for a hobbyist, They make a mess out of your lathe and ruin the finish on the machine etc. I just use cutting oil when threading or cutting something tough, And then clean it up.

I really wanted to mount my DRO to the right like "Papa Charlie" Did, But it just wasn't going to fit with my shelf I have, So I mounted it out of the way of cutting oil spray from the chuck.

Well, I finally got the DRO working, But I had to do it myself because the adapter that I bought from "DITRON" did not work, Their wiring that plugs into the magnetic scale that I bought from them, Did not even match their own wiring, After a lot of we will help you get this fixed tomorrow and tomorrow never came.

I set out to learn about how these things work. I got pinout diagrams from many DRO makers and got the right one from DITRON and even though the DITRON scale has seven wires and the "TOAUTO" Has 4, I was able to figure it out and re-solder the wires where they would work.

Basically, You have a 5 volt red positive wire, A 0v Negative black wire, A yellow wire for the "A" signal, And a Green wire for the "B" signal and if you hook something up wrong, It either doesn't do anything or the display doesn't turn on, Nothing was damaged with my wrong wiring attempts.

So in summary, "TOAUTO" was an excellent company to work with, Even though there is a language barrier, They would email me just to ask if everything was going ok and said they were there to help if needed, When I asked for the pinout diagram I had it very quickly.

"DITRON" on the other hand has terrible customer service if you encounter a problem good luck. I think their scales are a good product and seem to be well made. If you have an issue you are going to get empty promises and a lot of BS and you are on your own.

So if you are going to do this and use another brand of scale on one axis, You can rewire it to work by getting the pinout diagram and moving the wires.

Here is a little pinout diagram I drew out to show where to solder the wires, Just cutoff and delete the extra wires coming from the DITRON magnetic scale.

Attachments

• DSCN4432.JPG
    DSCN4432.JPG
    333.8 KB · Views: 18
Glad you got the DRO sorted. I bought a scale from DITRON DIRECT on Alliexpress, and when it arrived the plating on the read head, the side that goes down on the magnetic strip, was bubbled and ready to peel. I contacted them, and they responded quickly, saying they will replace it. Then I waited, and waited. Another message, they respond saying they will handle it...then nothing. I was getting close to the "return window" closing, so I filed a complaint through the Alliexpress system, and bang, they finally took action and sent a replacement. Buying through Alliexpress does actually provide some protection. I was a little surprised, but pleased. Alliexpess has clout with their suppliers.

Glad you got the DRO sorted. I bought a scale from DITRON DIRECT on Alliexpress, and when it arrived the plating on the read head, the side that goes down on the magnetic strip, was bubbled and ready to peel. I contacted them, and they responded quickly, saying they will replace it. Then I waited, and waited. Another message, they respond saying they will handle it...then nothing. I was getting close to the "return window" closing, so I filed a complaint through the Alliexpress system, and bang, they finally took action and sent a replacement. Buying through Alliexpress does actually provide some protection. I was a little surprised, but pleased. Alliexpess has clout with their suppliers.
Yeah that's about how it went with me, I think they were stalling, Waiting for the return window to pass by, When I told them I was going to return it, Which was a bluff on my part because I had shortened the scale and machined a bracket, That is when they sent me the adapter that was wrong, Which I happily paid for, Which they told me from the beginning they would make the adapter for free, I would just pay the shipping. $35.00 shipping LOL, For adapter that didn't even match their own wiring, Anyway, I'm glad it's over.

I know this thread hasn't been replied to in a while, but I just came across it. Thanks for all the write up. I am also one of those old geezers that bought the same model lathe way back in the early 90's and I still have it and keep it in good condition. I ALSO have all of the original papers, manuals, and certs and tolerance specs that came with it in very near new condition. I've been thinking about letting Ozark Tool Manuals borrow them so they could make reprints. I really should, since there is really no complete manuals, parts lists or schematics on the net anywhere for that model. It actually came with a lot of info.

The only problem I had with it was the original stand. Total POS. Got rid of it and got a better one.

Back