Just got my first ever metal lathe

Okay so I've got a question here I'm almost done just cleaning it up and giving it regular maintenance, how in the hell am I supposed to get this key back in? This is on the main gear on the spindle closest to the Chuck
Never mind I got it I was just doing the wrong song and dance

Never mind I got it I was just doing the wrong song and dance
The first is aways is dance it get better thd more do the work.

I would look a DC motor instead of putting money in to pulley.
The variable speed is a lot nicer than charging the belt.

Dave

Turn or pull on the Spindle or Chuck and the top of the Bull Gear toward you until the hole in the pulley is visible and the hole lines up with the Direct Drive Pin. Press on the right end of the pin and slide the pin into the hole. It may be necessary to rock the Bull Gear or the pulley back and forth to align the Direct Drive Pin with the hole while pressing on the pin.

I would strongly recommend that you start off with the cirrect motor and motor pulley and get the thing working in stock configuration before you go off and start modifying it. Stock motor would be a 1/4 HP or 1/3 HP 1725 RPM capacitor start AC motor.

I would strongly recommend that you start off with the cirrect motor and motor pulley and get the thing working in stock configuration before you go off and start modifying it. Stock motor would be a 1/4 HP or 1/3 HP 1725 RPM capacitor start AC motor.

All right so looking at the lathe I did notice something mine is missing the number plate on the back of it now I know that they did not change these very much while they were being produced, is there a way to identify the exact model number without it?

All right so looking at the lathe I did notice something mine is missing the number plate on the back of it now I know that they did not change these very much while they were being produced, is there a way to identify the exact model number without it?
Not now.
If 40 years ago and factory still up it would different. If made products run change it noted on the card.

FYI
If decide to use a variable speed motor to keep the torque to same at low RPM you use a larger motor.
It a 1/4 hp so you look at a 1/2 hp motor. If 1/3 hp you look at 3/4hp motor.
It makes machining a lot easier just to dial in the speed. I can adjust as I am machining. Belts or gears you stop and change the speed.

Dave

I'm with @wa5cab on the motor, a new pulley is all you need to use the one you have. Although I have variable speed on my lathe and think it's great you can/should get started with what you have there.

He'll also be able to assist with the model number questions.

John

Back