Just got my first ever metal lathe

Okay so I've got the lathe back together only thing is missing is the motor which I'm currently trying to work that out because I'm trying to add an extension to the switch I'm trying to add an extension so I can add a power switch to the motor that way I'm not having to reach behind the lathe to turn it on and off but when I add the motor wires in I always seem to get continuity or a short and the switch does nothing...
Surprisingly enough many machine tools have switches that require you to reach over the rotating bits to turn them on/off. I’m not really sure why that is, maybe to remind you to be careful when using them?

Anyway, you should set your machine up in a way that you’ll be comfortable and safe. Post some pictures of what you’re doing and I’m sure one of us can help you get it wired correctly.

John

Surprisingly enough many machine tools have switches that require you to reach over the rotating bits to turn them on/off. I’m not really sure why that is, maybe to remind you to be careful when using them?

Anyway, you should set your machine up in a way that you’ll be comfortable and safe. Post some pictures of what you’re doing and I’m sure one of us can help you get it wired correctly.

John
Well this just had a two position switch that you could flick back and forth mounted to the base of the motor what I may end up doing is just trashing this motor after I take the plaque off of it of course and getting a new 1/3hp 1725 rpm motor

Last edited:
Well this just had a two position switch that you could flick back and forth mounted to the base of the motor what I may end up doing is just trashing this motor after I take the plaque off of it of course and getting a new 1/3hp 1725 rpm motor
No need to trash the motor if it works. Looks like you’re already testing it out, just make yourself a switch panel that’s safe and mount it wherever makes sense to you.

John

No need to trash the motor if it works. Looks like you’re already testing it out, just make yourself a switch panel that’s safe and mount it wherever makes sense to you.

John
Well, I'm replacing as much of the old wiring inside the motor as i can, most of the fabric sheathing is deteriorating and the insulation it cracking off with the slightest movement.

That lathe is from the '30s, I started on one just like it. I think that is the original motor, as it matches the timeframe and size need perfectly, and I would bet dollars to donuts that those are the original pullies and if they are 3L sized than that is a very safe bet. I wired my motor, a 1/4hp Dunlap, for just a plug and then wired a switched outlet to use on the front of the bench for it.

That lathe is from the '30s, I started on one just like it. I think that is the original motor, as it matches the timeframe and size need perfectly, and I would bet dollars to donuts that those are the original pullies and if they are 3L sized than that is a very safe bet. I wired my motor, a 1/4hp Dunlap, for just a plug and then wired a switched outlet to use on the front of the bench for it.
They are 3L sized pullies.

Man I am really kicking myself right now I forgot to take a picture of the motor wires before I started disconnecting everything.... And of course I've never rewired a motor before...

20240320_183245.jpg20240320_184022.jpg
115.6759 I believe this motor is dated 1934

Attachments

• 20240320_183245.jpg
    20240320_183245.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
While you're in there you might check the bearings to see if they spin smoothly, and use a little low pressure compressed air to blow out the dust. Personally I wouldn't replace the bearings until I knew the rewire ran Ok, but if you get dimensions on the bearings, and look carefully to see if they have any markings on the sides (more pictures), you would know what bearings to go looking for without taking the motor apart again.

Last edited:
Back