Just got my first ever metal lathe

I'm told the early lathes had the serial number stamped on the ways.

Enjoy your new old lathe! Be patient as you can. These little machines can be great, but many give up on them far too quickly in my opinion.

Someone wrote earlier that the motor that you had was a 3500 RPM one but the photo that you posted shows the nameplate of a 1750 RPM one which is what you needed. So if the motor that you have runs OK, doesn't overheat it should be OK. If the original motor pulley is the right number and survives straightening it should be OK. Else it and the belt you will need are all that you will need to have the motor running.

Well I'm just about got it back together and first things first I'm going to have to make a sleeve for the tail stock ram lock because it's missing a piece or I could just stack a whole bunch of washers but what's the fun in that

Serial Number appears to be 2597 or it could be 2591. I have never understood why the guy doing the stamping couldn't-have carefully aligned the stamp with what was already stamped and hit it again but parts of one or two numbers (or letters) being missing is fairly common. Some take a knowledge of what each character should look like to de-cypher.

Last edited:
Okay so I've got the lathe back together only thing is missing is the motor which I'm currently trying to work that out because I'm trying to add an extension to the switch I'm trying to add an extension so I can add a power switch to the motor that way I'm not having to reach behind the lathe to turn it on and off but when I add the motor wires in I always seem to get continuity or a short and the switch does nothing...

Back