Just got my first ever metal lathe

So I have a dial indicator a Morse taper 1 1/2 Jacob's Chuck and a half inch parting blade on order is should be here Wednesday, I figure for now the stand i got for free from harbor freight should suffice for now it's not like I'm trying to get nasa specs, also I've been eyeballing some micrometers at my local antique store they're older Starrett and a few others I don't recognize like Rex

Attachments

• 20240307_160209.jpg
    20240307_160209.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 18
I use my calipers way more than micrometers. Good to have a micrometer and learn how to use it but a decent digital caliper is more useful IMHO for most jobs.

Wouldn’t spend much money on micrometers until you start working to tenths tolerances.

John

You may need one or two for evaluating the condition of the bearings and ways. Plus if you have a babbit bearing headstock you need to be able to differentiate between 0,002" and 0.004" to be sure that you put the right number of 0.002" shims under the bearing caps. The 0.002's have a tendency to stick together.

Welp rip my 4 jaw chuck jaw threads crumbled and now i can't tighten one of the jaws... and i have no backup chuck... Luckily the guy i bought the lathe from told me I'd i need anything just call him, he's got a 3 jaw that will fit but i need a backplate for it, he may also have another 4 jaw as well, so tomorrow I'll give him a call.

20240328_220148.jpg
Well it's not the greatest surface finish in the world but that's partly due to my uneven hand feeding and probably partly due to my hand ground cutter angles being wonky but for my first time I suppose it's not too bad for a facing cut

Welp rip my 4 jaw chuck jaw threads crumbled and now i can't tighten one of the jaws... and i have no backup chuck... Luckily the guy i bought the lathe from told me I'd i need anything just call him, he's got a 3 jaw that will fit but i need a backplate for it, he may also have another 4 jaw as well, so tomorrow I'll give him a call.
Rust?

Actually I was taking a look around in the barn and found a delta motor from an old drill press, it's a 1/2 hp 1750rpm motor with the same size shaft. The lantern style tool post has got to go, even a 4 way tool post would be better. But I'm planning on buying a quick change tool post in the future, but baby steps first. Also trying to turn anything with a four jaw Chuck without having a dial indicator is an absolute headache..

Eventually I'll take the old motor and get it professionally rebuilt then I'll go about restoring it.
Don’t be so down on the lantern toolpost. I used them on old South Bend 13s for 2-3 years. Their advantages over a four way are that it’s easier to get the tool height right and because of the angle of the bits, grinding the tops of them is either reduced or eliminated. The whole time that I had only a four way I wished for a lantern.

Don’t be so down on the lantern toolpost. I used them on old South Bend 13s for 2-3 years. Their advantages over a four way are that it’s easier to get the tool height right and because of the angle of the bits, grinding the tops of them is either reduced or eliminated. The whole time that I had only a four way I wished for a lantern.
I honestly don't mind the lantern tool post now that I've used it a bit.

First time I've heard of that happening to anyone.

WA5CAB

Back