Just got my first ever metal lathe

First time I've heard of that happening to anyone.

WA5CAB
That is strange about the 4 jaw but it must have rusted out bad under the grease.

Anyway, small chucks are pretty cheap now and hopefully no more surprises like that one.

John

That is strange about the 4 jaw but it must have rusted out bad under the grease.

Anyway, small chucks are pretty cheap now and hopefully no more surprises like that one.

John
The guy I bought the lathe is bringing me a three jaw Chuck but it's going to need a back plate, I'm gonna give him a call tomorrow he may have another 4 jaw as well.

Okay so I've got some good news the guy I bought the lathe has another 4 jaw of the exact same kind but it's missing some of the Jaws but I can reuse the Jaws from my old one and refit them, and he's got a back plate that he's going to bring to me as well and I figured I can retrofit the other back plate to the three jaw if needed, plus he's probably bringing me a bunch of other stuff and I'm going to start another thread on Monday because he's bringing me a Walker Turner floor model drill press that needs to be put back together, everything's been cleaned up on it already and repainted it just needs a motor.

It is a 1750rpm motor Or 1725 RPM.
Sorry, very late to the party here…
1725, 1740, 1750 are all nominal RPMs
There will be no noticeable difference between them

3450 nominal, is too fast for machine tools. A 2:1 reduction would be necessary to make it useful

Last edited:
Okay so I've got some good news the guy I bought the lathe has another 4 jaw of the exact same kind but it's missing some of the Jaws but I can reuse the Jaws from my old one and refit them, and he's got a back plate that he's going to bring to me as well and I figured I can retrofit the other back plate to the three jaw if needed, plus he's probably bringing me a bunch of other stuff and I'm going to start another thread on Monday because he's bringing me a Walker Turner floor model drill press that needs to be put back together, everything's been cleaned up on it already and repainted it just needs a motor.
You are getting a bunch of experience with this machine that will stay with you throughout your journey.

honestly don't mind the lantern tool post now that I've used it a bit.

I used a lantern tool post for over twenty years on my first lathe, a 9", change gear, South bend, before I upgraded. I think it's good to learn the lantern. For one thing, it is good training on getting the tool at center height, quickly. It is also still useful in some situations, for getting a tool into places without getting too much in the way. Besides, you'll know and appreciate a dying skill... But don't wait as long as I did to upgrade, ultimately, quick change is the way to go.

I'm using a 1/2hp on mine that I had laying around when i restored mine. Haven't read your full post but I suggest you use the adjustable belts. They work great. I saw your video and if you have problems with the belt you will have tear apart the head to put on a new belt. The belt you have now seems to be working fine though.

20240323_193349.jpg

Last edited:
I'm using a 1/2hp on mine that I had laying around when i restored mine. Haven't read your full post but I suggest you use the adjustable belts. They work great. I saw your video and if you have problems with the belt you will have tear apart the head to put on a new belt. The belt you have now seems to be working fine though.

View attachment 486727
Oh I've changed over to adjustable belts now and that thing looks really good, makes me wish I had a chip tray

Oh I've changed over to adjustable belts now and that thing looks really good, makes me wish I had a chip tray
My chip tray is from auto parts store for $10. It's used in home garage placed under the car to catch oil drips. I used an aluminum cookie sheet as well. It has low profile sides on two ends and I can just slide it under the bed to catch the flyers. See pic I posted in post #78.

Last edited:
Back