Just started reconditioning a pretty decent 101.07301 have some questions for the experienced!

here's a drawing for the M6-309 pins. I did the 3d model in Alibre, and can export it if anybody wants the 3d model (STL, STEP, SAT, IGES, Parasolid, DWG, DXF)

I think the important dimensions are probably the diameter and angle of the end cut.

The chamfer and radius are good for strain/stress relief, and can probably vary. I estimated the radius based on setting the radius-ed end using the overall length of pin, and the start of the radius, but it came out fairly similar to the real parts.

The length is probably something that can vary slightly as well, given the pins are pressed in by a set screw.

Attachments

• M6-309 pin.pdf
    425.2 KB · Views: 9
STATUS UPDATE: I ordered the parts needed for final assembly from Clausing and other sources last week, and only need to get some small hardware like the nylon patch set screw(s).

Just have to de-grease/de-rust the lead screw, and maybe touch up some other parts, and I want to give the ways some light love.

I moved the lathe to my shop this weekend, so hopefully it will be ready for mounting and assembly starting some time this coming weekend.

One question for the experienced: I've read a bunch of threads on using Felts for the oiler cups on the headstock, and have some questions, especially since opinions are rather variable on this topic, from what I can see...

1) do I need to drill holes through the sleeve bearings, after they've been inserted? if so, how big a hole, and what's a good way to lock the bearing into place while drilling?

2) I think I would be diligent about oil/lubrication, so the best I can see is if that is true, I don't need to put felts into the oil cup holes.

3) if felts truly are recommended, should they extend all the way down to the sleeve bearing, or hold at some height off the bearing?

Thanks for the pin drawing. I am missing some from my milling attachment.

I’m interested to hear about the felts too. Right now I don’t have any and I am missing one of the Gits caps.

The bushings are oilite so no hole is needed, the oil will seep into them. Just top the oil cups up as needed. Felts are also not needed.
You can get oil cups from McMaster https://www.mcmaster.com/oilers and many other places (I think even Amazon carries them)

Thanks for the pin drawing. I am missing some from my milling attachment.

I’m interested to hear about the felts too. Right now I don’t have any and I am missing one of the Gits caps.
sure Voda tryna give back to the community. :)

I've been using Alibre Design for 8+ years, and am trying to learn MecSoft's Visual Cad/Cam...

If anyone needs other parts on the 101.07301 lathe modeled, and are not in a rush, I'd be willing to consider a request.

"Oilite" is from the name of the first company to make porous bronze bushings. Like other trade names, it has become synonymous with the bushing type, regardless of who made them. The generic name is "Sintered Bronze".

Felt plugs weren't added by Atlas until just after the 101.07301 went out of production. But I would recommend using them as they will reduce oil slinging and tend to protect the bushings if you forget to top up the oil before starting the motor one morning. They are relatively low density felt about the diameter of the large end of the cup and of a thickness such that after installing them and filling them with oil, they come right to the top of the cups. It is not necessary that they have two diameters and continue through the small end of the cup. You can buy felt sheet and the proper diameter arch punch but arch punches aren't cheap and the minimum amount of felt sheet that you can buy will be enough to make about a bzillion of them. Clausing still sells them but you need to be needing more than just a few felts or the shipping will cost much more than the felts. They use UPS, who have a 1 lb minimum charge.

"Oilite" is from the name of the first company to make porous bronze bushings. Like other trade names, it has become synonymous with the bushing type, regardless of who made them. The generic name is "Sintered Bronze".

Felt plugs weren't added by Atlas until just after the 101.07301 went out of production. But I would recommend using them as they will reduce oil slinging and tend to protect the bushings if you forget to top up the oil before starting the motor one morning. They are relatively low density felt about the diameter of the large end of the cup and of a thickness such that after installing them and filling them with oil, they come right to the top of the cups. It is not necessary that they have two diameters and continue through the small end of the cup. You can buy felt sheet and the proper diameter arch punch but arch punches aren't cheap and the minimum amount of felt sheet that you can buy will be enough to make about a bzillion of them. Clausing still sells them but you need to be needing more than just a few felts or the shipping will cost much more than the felts. They use UPS, who have a 1 lb minimum charge.
how about the cord McMasterCarr sells? the F1?

Back