Kaka industrial bandsaw

I have the same one but it is a Central machinery badged saw. Made in Tiawan. Had it almost 20 years now and works great. I think you will be happy with it.

Cheaper than the Grizzly 7x12 but doesn't have as fancy a cart (no handle)
Otherwise looks pretty similar- 1.5 hp vs 1 hp for Griz

You are looking to go from "crappy" to Kaka... I'd consider that a moment, for what it's worth!

Now that I've got my mandatory joke out of the way, I am sorry to hear your HF saw hasn't been good to you. I've been convinced that it's one of the things HF has done right over the years. The Kaka, aside from being a considerably larger tool, is still the same design and construction that you're trying to get away from. I would be willing to bet that it will work as fantastically and probably better than the smaller, lighter saw that many folks have had a positive time with. But my thoughts for you, after your HF saw experience not being great, is not to be twice bitten. Maybe there is a good option for you in an off-industrial machine from an auction house or private seller? I really have a hard time reaching for more cheese after setting off the mousetrap, regardless of how rational the second helping seems.

You are looking to go from "crappy" to Kaka... I'd consider that a moment, for what it's worth!

Now that I've got my mandatory joke out of the way, I am sorry to hear your HF saw hasn't been good to you. I've been convinced that it's one of the things HF has done right over the years. The Kaka, aside from being a considerably larger tool, is still the same design and construction that you're trying to get away from. I would be willing to bet that it will work as fantastically and probably better than the smaller, lighter saw that many folks have had a positive time with. But my thoughts for you, after your HF saw experience not being great, is not to be twice bitten. Maybe there is a good option for you in an off-industrial machine from an auction house or private seller? I really have a hard time reaching for more cheese after setting off the mousetrap, regardless of how rational the second helping seems.
I've gone through two HF saws over the years. The experience hasn't been bad. I just want bigger and better. I want the flood coolant without building on to the saw that is already too small and has some quality issues.

I bought my first HF saw around 1995 and it still runs in my buddies shop. My current saw will get turned into a vertical saw and see many more years of use.

You’re basically asking if buying the bigger version of the same grade machine will yield better results.

I had a saw that size, with all the same features. In MY case, I was somewhat disappointed with it over all. I went the other way though, and bought the smaller portable bandsaw on a stand to replace it. I’m also somewhat disappointed with it.

Having used true industrial grade horizontal and vertical bandsaws, I think they’re the only thing I’d be satisfied with now. There’s really no comparison. They are so much better, it seems like a waste of words to try to compare them to these less expensive versions. But here goes.

Two jobs ago, I worked in a maintenance shop that had a Grob vertical bandsaw, and a Wilton horizontal bandsaw. Those machines were used by 35 different people of different skill sets. Two of the 35 had any interest in metalworking, and maybe 10 had any formal training. Those saws were subjected to incredible and varied misuse and abuse daily for 3 shifts 7 days per week. The only time they didn’t work was when somebody dulled or broke the blade.
My version of your Kaka was used maybe thrice a month for 3 years. It had one operator who spent many hours reading and studying and practicing to be proficient with machine tools. It regularly threw the blade, had violent seizures and was a constant source of frustration and delays. It was inspected time and time again, in hopes of finding WHY it just wasn’t very good. Money was spent, and time was lost, all to no avail.

There’s my $.02 YMMV

I have the same one but it is a Central machinery badged saw. Made in Tiawan. Had it almost 20 years now and works great. I think you will be happy with it.
This one says made in China....

You’re basically asking if buying the bigger version of the same grade machine will yield better results.

I had a saw that size, with all the same features. In MY case, I was somewhat disappointed with it over all. I went the other way though, and bought the smaller portable bandsaw on a stand to replace it. I’m also somewhat disappointed with it.

Having used true industrial grade horizontal and vertical bandsaws, I think they’re the only thing I’d be satisfied with now. There’s really no comparison. They are so much better, it seems like a waste of words to try to compare them to these less expensive versions. But here goes.

Two jobs ago, I worked in a maintenance shop that had a Grob vertical bandsaw, and a Wilton horizontal bandsaw. Those machines were used by 35 different people of different skill sets. Two of the 35 had any interest in metalworking, and maybe 10 had any formal training. Those saws were subjected to incredible and varied misuse and abuse daily for 3 shifts 7 days per week. The only time they didn’t work was when somebody dulled or broke the blade.
My version of your Kaka was used maybe thrice a month for 3 years. It had one operator who spent many hours reading and studying and practicing to be proficient with machine tools. It regularly threw the blade, had violent seizures and was a constant source of frustration and delays. It was inspected time and time again, in hopes of finding WHY it just wasn’t very good. Money was spent, and time was lost, all to no avail.

There’s my $.02
It's either a relatively inexpensive saw or I stay with my crappy little saw. I cannot blow $10k. It just isn't going to happen. I do need a bigger saw.

I bought a Baileigh shop press and it was light years nicer than the HF shop presses but cost a chunk of change.

How are their saws?

So many of those saws come out of the same factory with different paint and badging, however, there are a few that look identical but come out of Taiwan. I would choose Taiwan over China any day.

Depending on what you are cutting, a cold saw works very well. They are louder and throw more chips than a bandsaw but a lot quicker.

I have been eyeing this one up lately. We have one at work and it performs very well. https://store.evolutionpowertools.com/products/s380cps

I feel that Baleigh tools cost a lot more but again, are made in the same factory.

Back