Kaka industrial bandsaw

So many of those saws come out of the same factory with different paint and badging, however, there are a few that look identical but come out of Taiwan. I would choose Taiwan over China any day.

Depending on what you are cutting, a cold saw works very well. They are louder and throw more chips than a bandsaw but a lot quicker.

I have been eyeing this one up lately. We have one at work and it performs very well. https://store.evolutionpowertools.com/products/s380cps

I feel that Baleigh tools cost a lot more but again, are made in the same factory.
Which ones are made in Taiwan? I'm dying to know. I would happily pay a bit more.

So many of those saws come out of the same factory with different paint and badging, however, there are a few that look identical but come out of Taiwan. I would choose Taiwan over China any day.

Depending on what you are cutting, a cold saw works very well. They are louder and throw more chips than a bandsaw but a lot quicker.

I have been eyeing this one up lately. We have one at work and it performs very well. https://store.evolutionpowertools.com/products/s380cps

I feel that Baleigh tools cost a lot more but again, are made in the same factory.
The saw 7milesup is referring to is actually a dry cut saw as opposed to a cold saw. They are often sold as cold saws but in reality, that's a misnomer. They are nice for smaller stock, but somewhat limited in the size material they can cut. The maximum thickness of the material they are able to cut is 1/2", the blade turns at about 1450 rpm and doesn't use any type of coolant.

A true cold saw is a considerably larger machine with a blade speed range from about 20 rpm to 120 rpm. The versions with 14" blades can usually cut material over 4" thick. I've had a Baileigh CS-350EU (14' blade) cold saw for a couple years. It is a standalone machine that weighs 600 lbs.

Here are some pictures of a Baileigh CS-350EU cold saw. This is a manual version with a 4" capacity. There are a number of smaller and larger machines on the market. This one was purchased from a local used equipment dealer for less than the asking price of the Evolution saw previously mentioned. It did need some work before being put into service. The upsides of this style saw is that they are quick, extremely accurate, and very quiet. The downsides are that the blades are expensive, and they can be messy if coolant flow and chip evacuation aren't handled properly.

Attachments

• IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1428.jpg
    IMG_1428.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 15
The Precision Matthew's saw is listed as made in Taiwan. I'm guessing out of Chinese castings. Geared head so no belt to switch.

Pretty much the same price as the Jet which says it's made in Taiwan.

+1 on going with a cold saw if you can find a used one in your price range and it would suit your needs. I found mine on Craigslist free and although it’s smaller then the one @projectnut has it really does a nice job with everything I’ve used it for.

If only a bandsaw will do I’d hold out for a used industrial model and fix it up. I see them fairly regular for cheap and would already have one if I had the room.

John

+1 on going with a cold saw if you can find a used one in your price range and it would suit your needs. I found mine on Craigslist free and although it’s smaller then the one @projectnut has it really does a nice job with everything I’ve used it for.

If only a bandsaw will do I’d hold out for a used industrial model and fix it up. I see them fairly regular for cheap and would already have one if I had the room.

John
Are you down with OPP? I'm not. Wasted too much time on that....

Are you down with OPP? I'm not. Wasted too much time on that....
Other people’s projects?

As you can see from my profile pic I do buy used machines and fix them up. If not, I would have a much less well equipped shop or a much thinner wallet. I find the challenge of buying and fixing up stuff part of what I enjoy in this hobby. I learned quite a long time ago that the quality of manufactured goods from decades past often exceeds what you pay top dollar for now.

For something like an industrial bandsaw I’d be looking for a shop going out of business that had lightly used equipment, not a hobbyist or farm that modified the unit to keep it working beyond normal service life. Might take a while but everything I’ve wanted I could eventually find for a small fraction of new price.

If you’re only in the market for new then all I can say is buy the best you can afford.

John

There are quite a few horizontal bandsaws on Craigs List in the Toledo and Sandusky area. Notably a few Johnson's and a couple Wiltons. Stay away from the Carolina ones. They're cheaply built and hard to find parts for.

Here's a link to a Wilton in Mt. Pleasant:
Bandsaw - tools - by owner - sale - craigslist
Wilton model, 3410 horizontal/vertical bandsaw 110v works great
racine.craigslist.org

Personally, if I had room for it I would consider a new or used Ellis 1600. They're very popular around here, probably because they're made locally. In addition, the head swivels for miter cuts rather than the vise and the stock. The swivel head makes it much easier to cut long stock.

I currently have a Startrite H175. It's a great saw but has the swivel vise rather than the swivel head. These are higher end saws that usually sell for around $1,500.00 to $2000.00 used. I picked mine up over 20 years ago for a fraction of what they're going for today. It came from a shop in Chicago that needed a bigger machine. Rather than run it into the ground they sold it to me for a great price.

Here's a link to the Ellis 1600. They do come up on Craigs List occasionally:

1600 Mitre Band Saw - Ellis Mfg, Inc.

Ellis 1600 Mitre Band Saw features angle cutting, and one step conversion from horizontal to vertical band saw.
ellissaw.com
If you want a truly inexpensive workhorse, you might consider an industrial power hacksaw. I have an older Racine 66W that's capable of cutting 6" round or flat stock. Here are pictures of the Startrite H175 and the Racine power hacksaw. Both are the smallest in their lineups. Both are coolant capable. The power hacksaw is a bit slower in that the fastest blade speed (140 strokes per minute) is about 60 FPM. The slowest speed on the Startrite is 60 SFM with higher speeds of 100 SFM and 160 SFM

Attachments

• DSC09974.JPG
    DSC09974.JPG
    424.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC09971.JPG
    DSC09971.JPG
    279.5 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC09972.JPG
    DSC09972.JPG
    480.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Other people’s projects?

As you can see from my profile pic I do buy used machines and fix them up. If not, I would have a much less well equipped shop or a much thinner wallet. I find the challenge of buying and fixing up stuff part of what I enjoy in this hobby. I learned quite a long time ago that the quality of manufactured goods from decades past often exceeds what you pay top dollar for now.

For something like an industrial bandsaw I’d be looking for a shop going out of business that had lightly used equipment, not a hobbyist or farm that modified the unit to keep it working beyond normal service life. Might take a while but everything I’ve wanted I could eventually find for a small fraction of new price.

If you’re only in the market for new then all I can say is buy the best you can afford.

John
Other people PROBLEMS..... LOL

There are quite a few horizontal bandsaws on Craigs List in the Toledo and Sandusky area. Notably a few Johnson's and a couple Wiltons. Stay away from the Carolina ones. They're cheaply built and hard to find parts for.

Here's a link to a Wilton in Mt. Pleasant:
racine.craigslist.org

Bandsaw - tools - by owner - sale - craigslist

Wilton model, 3410 horizontal/vertical bandsaw 110v works great
racine.craigslist.org
Personally, if I had room for it I would consider a new or used Ellis 1600. They're very popular around here, probably because they're made locally. In addition, the head swivels for miter cuts rather than the vise and the stock. The swivel head makes it much easier to cut long stock.

I currently have a Startrite H175. It's a great saw but has the swivel vise rather than the swivel head. These are higher end saws that usually sell for around $1,500.00 to $2000.00 used. I picked mine up over 20 years ago for a fraction of what they're going for today. It came from a shop in Chicago that needed a bigger machine. Rather than run it into the ground they sold it to me for a great price.

Here's a link to the Ellis 1600. They do come up on Craigs List occasionally:

1600 Mitre Band Saw - Ellis Mfg, Inc.

Ellis 1600 Mitre Band Saw features angle cutting, and one step conversion from horizontal to vertical band saw.
ellissaw.com
If you want a truly inexpensive workhorse, you might consider an industrial power hacksaw. I have an older Racine 66W that's capable of cutting 6" round or flat stock. Here are pictures of the Startrite H175 and the Racine power hacksaw. Both are the smallest in their lineups. Both are coolant capable. The power hacksaw is a bit slower in that the fastest blade speed (140 strokes per minute) is about 60 FPM. The slowest speed on the Startrite is 60 SFM with higher speeds of 100 SFM and 160 SFM

Attachments​

• DSC09974.JPGDSC09971.JPGDSC09972.JPG
I want to machine stuff instead of working my tools. I'm not in the market for used.

Back