Keyless Chuck?

My experience has been that if a drill or other devise isn't secure in the taper, the tang will (or may) twist off, it isn't hardened.

The tang is most generally used when the arbor is installed in a drill press. It aligns with slots in the spindle. When the arbor is removed a key is placed through the slots and tapped with a hammer. The assembly will then pop out of the spindle. The tang is smaller than the arbor so that if it gets marred on removal it won't damage the bore of the spindle.

If the arbor is used exclusively in a lathe tailstock you can remove it if length is a concern. However I would install some sort of grub screw as mentioned previously to make removal easier and avoid damage to the taper.

As for a integral arbor on the chuck it's as much personal preference as anything else. I have a dozen or more chucks in the shop. The spindles range from R8 to MT2, MT3, B&S 9 & JT33. None of my chucks have integral arbors. They all have a JT6 mount hole so they can be moved from machine to machine when necessary

Keep the tang or something to push against if you ever plan on using the shank in a reducer sleeve.

3/4" cap. keyless? I don't know of any in a good brand. I've only seen up to 5/8" cap. on good keyless.
More than 13 mm, I only use collets.

Just got a key less chuck and love it - the keyed chuck I had kept loosening up and never got tight. Just thought I would reply.

The tang on my MT3 drill chuck arbor is long gone. I left the root of it on the arbor so the ejector does not touch the taper. It now ejects at 1/2'' instead of 1'' on the quill scale.

When using a keyless chuck you shouldn't go above its rating. i.e. no turned down shank drills or hole saws. They will self tighten to the point you need a pipe wrench to loosen them. Don't ask how I know.

Greg

I have had this happen to me a few times through the years.

Might look at Z live keyless chucks with integral shank. The biggest I have seen is 5/8", usually anything beyond that I use a tanged drill or collet system. I have the Glacern integral R-8 chuck on my mill, but prefer the keyless Z Live integral shank MT3 chuck which is 1/2 the price. Both hold tolerance of better than 0.001". Both are made in China, and are quality units. Shar's has integral shank chucks that look exactly like the Glacern for less. Glacern use to have reasonable prices, but they have gone up quite a bit in the last 2 years.

This is a MT3 type, only seems to be listed vis Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Key...=UTF8&qid=1450191776&sr=8-2&keywords=integral

I have and use Albrecht, Jacobs and a cheap import.
Albrecht is the best. I have bought mine on ebay as "needing work". They are easy to take apart and fix what's wrong, but parts are expensive.
Jacobs is a very nice chuck, and much cheape than Albrecht. If I were buying new, I'd buy Jacobs. Best cost/benefit ration.
Imports are not bad. Certainly fine for a basic drill press. In fact, I'll probably order one for mine.

I bought the common cheap chucks when I bought my lathe & mill, 3/8" and 1/2". The 1/2" is holding up fine after years of work, but the 3/8" has lost the gearing to tighten it properly. I've bought several keys hoping that would be good enough but finally gave up and bought a Jacobs. The key fit is so much better.

I also got tired of keying my tail stock chuck so I bought a keyless Jacobs and love it. I left the tang on my chuck adapter, and yeah, I lose about an inch. I left it on to pop it out easily. You don't really need the extra travel on a lathe, just move tail stock. Both of my Centers don't have the tang and are sometimes a pain to pop out.

Speaking of chucks, here's a Shop Tip. I recently had to do some long-drilling for a home remodel project and instead of buying a special long drill (just price one), I bought a very small diameter 1/4" chuck with 3/8" X 24 thread mount for about $10. I also bought a 3/8" of the same. With a 3' length of All-Thread, you can make it a long as you want, or cut it up for several different lengths.

Buy quality chucks or be sorry that you didn't!

Back