Keyless Chuck?

I have a problem with keyless chucks...because my mill doesn't have a spindle lock. So when you're trying to tighten the chuck you need one hand to hold the spindle, a second hand to grip the chuck, and a third hand to hold the drill bit. :(

Ken

Just a FYI, one time I couldn't find any alcohol to wipe the taper before installing in tailstock
I ended up useing windex window cleaner instead , to get the Chuck / taper out of tailstock I had to remove the tailstock ram and press the Chuck off with a twenty ton press , when it let loose it sounded like a gun went off . Never had a problem useing alcohol they would release normally, must of been the windex.:eek:

My keyed chuck slips when torque gets a bit high. Seems like it is the weak link in the system and maybe protects the JT and MT tapers from spinning.
If I was using a quality keyless chuck that does not slip, in a tailstock, extra attention would be given to choosing and feeding the drill so that it does not pull or slip on the taper(s).

I would probably want to use a MT-JT arbor instead of an integral shank just to keep my options open for other uses of the chuck in the future.

Back