Kidney stone 'Experts" opinion needed

To fish or not to fish

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks for the replies.

I posted this thread with a poll asking if I should take a chance and go fishing tomorrow or stay home but it looks like the poll didn't get attached.

The poll is there... I don't participate in them. As for going fishing, you probably should. When the stone really kicks in, you'll curse the world, you'll curse your mother and you will especially curse yourself for being so stupid to be on the road with a stone ready to announce itself. The lesson you'll learn will be priceless.

The story of my first kidney stone.
8 years ago I had an accident and broke my leg.
Was on crutches for several months.
Along comes deer hunting season so I hobble out to my ground blind.
Mid day I started getting pretty bad pain in my lower back and was sick. Threw up out the window.
But I didnt want to leave and knew Mike my hunting pal would be disappointed too.
So I toughed it out.
Along comes a good buck. I got on him with my rifle. My face was dripping sweat and I was really dizzy but I forced my self to concentrate, took the shot and knocked the buck down in his tracks.
I was too sick and in pain to field dress him so Mike had to do it for me.
On the way home in the pickup I layed across the seat with my head in his lap.
Odd but I didnt care.
Got home and my wife took one look at me and said you're going to the ER.
It didn't take them long to discover it was a kidney stone and they had to do surgery.
I have had them a couple times since and take a med to prevent them now.
The moral of this story isn't about kidney stones. It's about deer hunting and how neither a broken leg and crutches nor big pain and sickness are enough to prevent a dedicated hunter from bagging his deer :)

I have had several over the years. Did a bunch of research on what causes them. They are caused by your body failing to process something (I forget its exact name) in your kidney due to a lack of citric acid allowing the stones to form. In this research I learned that the citric acid in lemon juice dissolves the stones. Lemonade is now my drink of choice. I rarely have stones anymore. If I do the pain is relatively mild and only lasts for a few hours.

If I feel one starting to pass I drink a quart, yes a quart, of pure lemon juice. Plus a gallon or more of water. And I keep drinking lots of water. This works for me.

a quart of lemon juice... what are you doing to yourself...
I have an orange or 2 a day, midday as a snack.

So if I understand this correctly, the pain from a stone happens on 2 different occasions. Once when it leaves the kidney and enters the ureter and once again when it passes out of the body days later. Right now I have zero pain and everything seem fine but no stone has passed yet.

So if I understand this correctly, the pain from a stone happens on 2 different occasions. Once when it leaves the kidney and enters the ureter and once again when it passes out of the body days later. Right now I have zero pain and everything seem fine but no stone has passed yet.
That's not my understanding/ experience
You will have the most pain/ blood when it's passing through the kidney and much less when passing through the ureter. When it is in the bladder pain free enless it creates a blockage and of course when you pee it out.
2mm should pass ok. I have passed up to 6mm(no fun).
I used to have them almost monthly but found out by mistake that mine were coming from my well water.
It's is very hard with a lot of calcium. Installed a water softener problem solved. Stone free for 4 years.
By all means go fishing and drink as much water as you can. Staying as active as you can will help you pass it.

Kidney stones form in the kidney. Sometimes they stay there and never get passed. The pain comes when the stone leaves the kidney and goes down the ureter to the bladder. Once in the bladder the passages are bigger and rarely any pain when you **** it out. That's been my experience.

And yes a quart of lemon juice. Orange juice is different. Doesn't work like lemon juice. Not drinking enough water is part of the cause of kidney stones. Your pee needs to be very light in color. I drink at least a quart to 2 quarts of water a day. During the summer I increase that at least a gallon. Other types of liquids while maybe keeping you hydrated don't flush your kidneys.

Kidney stones form in the kidney. Sometimes they stay there and never get passed. The pain comes when the stone leaves the kidney and goes down the ureter to the bladder. Once in the bladder the passages are bigger and rarely any pain when you **** it out. That's been my experience.

And yes a quart of lemon juice. Orange juice is different. Doesn't work like lemon juice. Not drinking enough water is part of the cause of kidney stones. Your pee needs to be very light in color. I drink at least a quart to 2 quarts of water a day. During the summer I increase that at least a gallon. Other types of liquids while maybe keeping you hydrated don't flush your kidneys.
I think different people have different experiences. I have had three stones removed surgically on three different occasions and each time I was in unbelievable pain and the stones were removed from my kidney. The urologist claimed that the pain was from the stone moving through my kidney and would have created a blockage in the ureter causing more problems if not removed. I guess that stones act different in different people and situations. Over the years I have had many doctors and they all say something different on the subject of stones.

...Right now I have zero pain and everything seem fine but no stone has passed yet.
Go buy yourself a lottery ticket. You've definitely won the kidney stone lottery. If you're without pain, it means that the stone has probably passed thru your urethra and is in your bladder, or has already passed out. The major part of the pain is when the urethra is too narrow to pass and pressure builds up in your kidney. This type of pain makes one want to cut off their feet, just to distract their minds off the real pain.

You seem to be in the clear for now. Fish for the stone for a while longer (it could have just shattered into a million little pieces), then move on (and go fishing for real!). Start adding citric acid to some of your drinks (food grade is available from Amazon) as a prophylactic measure to hopefully prevent them in the future.

Consider yourself lucky that you didn't get the full impact of a kidney stone. Hope and pray that you never do.

If I feel one starting to pass I drink a quart, yes a quart, of pure lemon juice.

I love lemons and the juice. The problem I have with this much juice is the risk of dissolving your teeth.

I had to flush the cooling system of a D7 bulldozer, so I bought 10 pounds of citric acid and 10 pounds of oxalic acid. The manual recommended oxalic acid, but others recommended citric acid. When I got the citric acid, I put some in a drink and really loved the extra zing that it added, so I kept the citric acid and used the oxalic. The oxalic did the trick, so I am keeping the citric acid in strategic reserve (while continuing to add it where ever I can).

I know that someone with a stone would drink battery acid if it was thought it would eliminate the stone. Just be careful with that much acid on your teeth.

Back