Kitchen corner cabinet brackets

A little more shop time. Made up some more brackets, or rather the basic shape, yesterday. Was able to fit two pieces in the vise, so machined them both at once. That sure helped, along with kind of knowing what to do this time! Hogged out material and then did a few passes with the ball mill. This afternoon cut them into brackets using the slitting saw. Was able to cut two at once which helped speed up the slow slitting saw cutting. So now I have 9 brackets. Really only need 8, but each block gave me three at a time, so 9 it is. Was good to knock this off today. Have a bit of de-burring to do, but overall happy with them so far.
PXL_20220610_204517082.jpg
Waiting for the reamer set I ordered to show up, then I will drill them and ream them in the same setup. Will fixture it so it will just be step and repeat.

To quell my lingering doubts, I did a test fit of the brackets. Put them in upside down just to check that I got the spacing correct. They fill the gap pretty well. You can see in the photo some of the damage that occurred from my friend, the "fixit" guy. He had to try out the existing brackets... And yes, he had to put some weight on it. Not too pleased about the chipping he caused, but it shouldn't impair things. There's more clearance than I thought on the brackets, but it will be fine, as one does need some clearance. I just wanted to make sure they weren't too thick before pressing in the pins.
PXL_20220611_145836332.jpgPXL_20220611_145909181.jpg
Left side, main shelf Right side, main shelf

All brackets fit in this space. Need to check out the upper shelf, too, since I am going to replace both sets of brackets. There's a big gap there as well. The only thing that has saved the upper shelf from falling is the light load on it.

Waiting for the reamer set to show up. Tracking says Tuesday. Hope to close out this honey do item very soon.

Ok, so the reamer over under set showed up. I will try out a test pin in a while.
PXL_20220614_194208037.jpg

Something else showed up. I didn't order it. But a kind soul from HM did. This gentleman did not want to be revealed so I shall respect his wishes. Really quite flabbergasted and very thankful. Behold, a new addition to the shop.
PXL_20220614_193617209.jpg
It is a 3T arbor press! UPS delivered it today, in a pretty beat up box. It seems someone along the way didn't read the this side up signs which were quite apparent to me on the crate. Both bolts had torn through the bottom of the maybe 6mm plywood crate. So the press was loose in the crate. Some paint was scuffed, but, we will call it patina :) Think it is fine, don't see any issues with it yet, but I have yet to operate the ram.

Tickled to have the press. It's kind of a lightweight for it's capacity, which is a good thing. I was able to manhandle it and get it up on the porch myself. Had it been the weight of a Greenerd, I wouldn't have been able to do that. Being a typical example of low cost manufacturing, it has some rough edges, particularly on the lever, and the cast wheel. I will have to clean it all up prior to use. I'm glad I de-crated it and got both it and myself out of the hot sun. A lot easier working in the shade.

So no progress actually, but the infrastructure is in place. Got to go fiddle with the arbor and free the ram. I'm sure it was captivated for shipping.

Amazing gift.
You aren't kidding. I am still amazed.

And 10 minutes after I fitted the hand wheel, I dropped the 6mm key on the porch and the key fell under the porch. Kicking myself for that! I will have to make and hand fit a key. Can't see ordering key stock and paying more for the postage than the key stock. I can see the key but can't get to it. Be easier to machine a key from scratch than to access that dropped key! So that's what I'll do. Have some 5/8 x 1 1018 that I can use the slitting saw to make a 6mm thick slice. The 5/8" dimension is a hair under 16mm which would be ok for the key length.

The ram has a bolt through it at the bottom. The bottom of the ram has a 12 mm hole in it. Is this for a piece that one machines to fit? Do you harden the piece?

Magnet on a string?

Look for one of those pocket screwdrivers with the magnet on the end or your bit holder or your drill.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Magnet on a string?

Look for one of those pocket screwdrivers with the magnet on the end or your bit holder or your drill.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Was my first thought! Gap between the boards is narrow, well apparently 6mm in that spot. Maybe I can find a tiny super magnet and fish it out. If I get lucky maybe it'll work. I'll see if I have a suitable magnet in my magnet box.

The key has been recovered, but not the way I expected. Found a 5mm Nd magnet and a 3/16 steel rod to try fishing for the key. Grabbed a flashlight and lay prone on the porch looking for the key. Could have sworn I saw it last night. Flashlight shows nothing, just a pile of dust and crud there. Still go fishing with the magnet rod and come up short. Nothing. Dang. Get up and on my knees, peer under the arbor press. There's all kinds of strange protruding things and something else there, but can't make it out.

Fish a magnet there and get nothing. Decided to unbolt the arbor from the crate base. Lift the arbor off the crate and find the key!

Good, now I can go back to drilling and reaming the holes for the pins. Compared to arbor adventures, it should be a lot easier I hope. Don't know if the new reamer is on size. That's next.

Good thing I checked. There's 14 reamers in the set. 7 at 0.001" under and 7 at 0.001" over. Looked at the 0.001" under reamers. Only the smallest reamer was at or slightly under the spec. All of the other under reamers were 0.001" over their spec or at nominal. So the 0.2490" reamer measured at 0.2500, what the heck? With 4 decimal places I figure at least the 3rd decimal place should be right. Not so with these reamers. Had I used the reamer, I would have had a slip fit, not interference.

Am I measuring these reamers correctly? Widest point across the tips at the end, will be your hole diameter?

Need to either remake the pins out of some 0.257" O1, and use my existing APT 0.2500" reamer, or wait for yet another reamer. Since an L&I 0.2485" reamer should be coming in soon, I'll wait a little. If that fails, I will buy the O1. It's only $6 for 3 feet, so it seems like it will work out.

While waiting for that, I made a ram tip for the arbor press out of some 1.5" 1045 steel. That stuff is not very fun to machine. But with some perseverance, pulled it off. The hole in the ram is 12mm, so I made the small end a touch under that. There's not much critical about it, so I just winged it. Rough dimensions, small end 16mm long, 12mm OD, large end about 20mm long and 38.1mm OD.
PXL_20220619_204034042.jpgPXL_20220619_205249112.jpg
Need a better handle for the wheel, the one that comes with it is a screw, a nut, and a piece of rubber like plastic that has some weird gummy stuff on it. Found a much nicer revolving handle, for under $15, so I may spring for that.

Back