Kurt DX6 for PM-1054TV but which one?

I've never seen a machinist not tap down their work in a vice.
A machinist I am not as of yet but I had saw people testing them with dial indicators and they actually pulled down tight on the parallels so I expected as much and it's not how mine works. I was knocking everything down on my old vise for the last 3 years, I just expected to eliminate it and just check the supports underneath and go so I am disappointed. I guess I trusted my eyes and never asked around first. My point is I would not have paid KURT prices if I would not have solved that deal. In my mind I guess I combine the slight lift with a rough turning overly tight screw feed and the two add up to disappointment. I could of been disappointed for less money, all I got and I do cherish it is American made and my money continues to circulate in the good ole USA s little longer.

A machinist I am not as of yet but I had saw people testing them with dial indicators and they actually pulled down tight on the parallels so I expected as much and it's not how mine works. I was knocking everything down on my old vise for the last 3 years, I just expected to eliminate it and just check the supports underneath and go so I am disappointed. I guess I trusted my eyes and never asked around first. My point is I would not have paid KURT prices if I would not have solved that deal. In my mind I guess I combine the slight lift with a rough turning overly tight screw feed and the two add up to disappointment. I could of been disappointed for less money, all I got and I do cherish it is American made and my money continues to circulate in the good ole USA s little longer.
I'd suggest taking the movable jaw off the vise and seeing if the ball/nut interface has something going on, it almost sounds like there is a burr or something keeping the 'ball' from tilting right. Make sure you reassemble it well greased!

Did you try calling Kurt at any point about your problems? One of the things that makes them a great company is how amazing their support is. I'm sure if you called them (and bought this somewhat recently?) they would be sending you parts to fix the vise (or replacing it). Every manufacturer has a lemon now and again, so I try not to judge a company based on a single example..

I'd suggest taking the movable jaw off the vise and seeing if the ball/nut interface has something going on, it almost sounds like there is a burr or something keeping the 'ball' from tilting right. Make sure you reassemble it well greased!

Did you try calling Kurt at any point about your problems? One of the things that makes them a great company is how amazing their support is. I'm sure if you called them (and bought this somewhat recently?) they would be sending you parts to fix the vise (or replacing it). Every manufacturer has a lemon now and again, so I try not to judge a company based on a single example..
Will do, I haven't called KURT yet, just came in 2 days ago and not even been back to the shop since I cleaned and tested it and then recleaned and tried again. With (2) issues and sample size of (1), I have every reason to be unimpressed. I'll see what they say. my handle binds enough to not fall of it's own weight or even more, does this seem normal on a new vise, should I expect it have a break in period ??

Attachments

• IMG_0319.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Decided to order from Amazon. Shipping box came intact, vise is perfect. Looks like revision “A” as the fixed jaw is bolted on and not a single piece with the base (unless I’m misunderstanding the revision “A” vs “B”).

OMG it is so freaking nice. Indicated in with a tenths indicator and it’s perfectly parallel to the bed and perfectly square.

As an aside, picked up a cylinder square off e-bay to do fast / coarse alignment and to use as a fast double check. Loving it so far!

44f54a88a9e2483734749e0f905fa5f9.jpg

Back