Lanolin and ??? (as rust preventer)

Ed's Red is a formula designed for cleaning rifle bores. Many like it for that use. Users have found that it has other uses as well.

My formula, which was designed for protection of machines, tools, and whatever else from rusting and other surface deterioration, for use in machine shops, has the following formula:

1 part lanolin
5 parts mineral spirits
1 part ATF (automatic transmission fluid)

Heat the lanolin gently and carefully (to not start a fire) until it is completely melted and clear. (Edit: Move it well away from the heat source,) then add the mineral spirits and stir until until completely blended, and finally add the ATF and mix well. The components stay mixed and stable in my climate.

It is quite thin, and can be easily applied to a thin wet coat with an old toothbrush, Q-tip, corner of a rag, fingers, or whatever. When the solvents in the mineral spirits evaporate out, it will leave a very thin and reasonably hard coating that is transparent and is only slightly noticeable to the touch. I live in sunny California where we do not get much freezing weather, but we do get a fair amount of rain at times. The year around average humidity is pretty dry. This recipe works, never a problem if it stays on. If you rub or wash it off, it will be gone. Water does not dissolve it, just beads up on the surface.
(Edit: Keep this solution in an air tight container or the mineral spirits will dry away, leaving a thick mix of half lanolin, half ATF.)

Last edited:
Ed's Red is a formula designed for cleaning rifle bores. Many like it for that use. Users have found that it has other uses as well.

My formula, which was designed for protection of machines, tools, and whatever else from rusting and other surface deterioration, for use in machine shops, has the following formula:

1 part lanolin
5 parts mineral spirits
1 part ATF (automatic transmission fluid)

-SNIP-
Question, how do you measure the lanolin?
Is it by solid or after it's melted?

Have had some lanolin for a couple of months now. Got to do something for the equipment in the shop.
This Rust Removal is a constant task and I grow weary of it.
Paste was was doing the job, but it fails if not constantly applied.
I haven't had much shop time the last several months and items have gone to rust.

Thx.

The formula I recently seen on this site was more complicated than any of the above and involved heating some of the materials in the recipe.
I copied the in and had it in a WORD format trying to figure out where to save it.
And as usual I did not save it in a timely fashion and we had a power outage with a tree falling on the power company line.
End of story and I would sure like to recover the one I forgot to save!!

I would sure like to recover the one I forgot to save!!

Perhaps this was it? Posted in POTD a couple weeks ago (post #2084) by pontiac428

-frank

Last edited:
From @pontiac428 's Post -Here-. Thanks to @francist.

Like many, I live where humidity levels ensure a perpetual battle with surface rust. After living for so long in Nevada, this is a bit of a novel concept to me. This post is my result with home brewed lanolin-based rust preservative.

The recipe:
Weigh out 100g anhydrous lanolin and 100g Johnson's paste wax into a container. Heat in microwave to soften and liquify, mix well. Add 10 ml of (pick one: naptha, odorless mineral spirits, stoddard solvent) and 10 ml Sea Foam (good source of glycol ethers, can use brake fluid or penetrating oil; penetrant is stinky and brake fluid softens paint, so Sea Foam is my choice). Mix well and let solidify. Apply to surface with a piece of chamois and buff.

The result:
Everything I've tried this on has worked.
-=- SNIPPED -=-

Thanks Dan, I don’t know why my link didn’t link so well this time, it’s worked before!

-f

Thanks everyone I have copied and pasted and SAVED this so I know where it is!!

Hi folks, this is my first post.

I live in an area that is WET in winter and everything steel in the shed rusts. I use Lanox, it's $13AUD a can and lasts a couple of years. I spray it into a tin with a rag and then wipe everything down occasionally. No more rust

Yes Lanox MX4 is the best rust prevention I've ever seen. Widely used in the marine industry. I use it in my shop, and never seen any rust in over 3 years

Thanks Dan, I don’t know why my link didn’t link so well this time, it’s worked before!

-f
Your link worked fine, I posted it as a quote just so that we'd have all the recipes in one thread.

Putting Seafoam in it sounds interesting as does the addition of Paste Wax.
I'm steering clear of using turpentine just because it messes with my breathing.
I only have a small block of lanolin.
I just checked and I've got a couple of cans of Seafoam handy.
I think I'll split the lanolin and try two different recipes.
I'll have to use a hot plate out in the shop, with my luck something would go awry using the microwave.
I will have to try to sneak Honey's small scale out to the shop. :cool:

Back