Lantern Tool Post revisited

CA electric rates are so high because? Lots of wind power, it's almost free, outstanding, well maintained distribution system.
Our rates are less than half of what you pay.
The blow in insulation sounds good to me.
I wanted to put up a detached garage to use as my retirement play pen. City won't allow it to be insulated.

CA electric rates are so high because? Lots of wind power, it's almost free, outstanding, well maintained distribution system.
Our rates are less than half of what you pay.
The blow in insulation sounds good to me.
I wanted to put up a detached garage to use as my retirement play pen. City won't allow it to be insulated.
Boy, that would get me. I'd have to overrule that. How about "structural foam" or "fire resistant" fiberglass barrier? There is always that pink foam art work you like so much. All else fails, I'd be doing some midnight engineering.

Why is electricity so expensive in California? One factor is solar energy. Electric companies in California have to buy electricity from customers with solar panels at the retail price up to the amount of the customer's usage. Then the price paid for solar energy drops to the wholesale rate. Last time I checked the wholesale rate was a little over 2 cents per KWH. I think about 1/3 of all electricity in California is generated by solar. It might be more. If you blend the rate being paid for solar power with the wholesale rate the utility's wholesale cost for electricity jumps to around 9.5 cents per KWH. As solar increases the utility's cost will continue to increase with corresponding increases in the electric rate. This is an unsustainable business model. To discuss this further would require talking about politics which is not permitted on this site.

I own a business and can understand how ludicrous this business model is even though taxpayer likely do contribute to some of the infrastructure. The mandate for all electric vehicles is going to be interesting. Lost revenue from gas tax will have to be dealt with. Just like in our shop builds, "there ain't no free lunch".

my own shop is not insulated But is protected by thermal mass, some "passive solar" and partly underground. The Mitsubishi mini-split is very efficient. Also very quiet. Sorry for the thread drift. Shop builds and upgrades are among the most fun things to think about and do for me.

back to the tool post, you are building the threaded cup height adjuster I am assuming. Can't that be made to fit over the "lantern" in its present shape? Made like a set of nesting cups end to end with ID and matching OD threads?

Why is electricity so expensive in California? One factor is solar energy. Electric companies in California have to buy electricity from customers with solar panels at the retail price up to the amount of the customer's usage. Then the price paid for solar energy drops to the wholesale rate. Last time I checked the wholesale rate was a little over 2 cents per KWH. I think about 1/3 of all electricity in California is generated by solar. It might be more. If you blend the rate being paid for solar power with the wholesale rate the utility's wholesale cost for electricity jumps to around 9.5 cents per KWH. As solar increases the utility's cost will continue to increase with corresponding increases in the electric rate. This is an unsustainable business model. To discuss this further would require talking about politics which is not permitted on this site.
Here's some good news most missed this week, possible breakthrough in fusion energy energy.

John

The body of my lantern is round with a 1" OD. I would make nesting cups that fit to the body as closely as I can make them. Hopefully within a thou or two. The OEM spacers for height adjustment are a really sloppy fit. IMHO the sloppy fit of the OEM spacers is one factor that contributes to lack of rigidity in a lantern tool post.

California has proposed and I believe Oregon has a test program where you would be taxed on the miles you drive supposedly in lieu of the tax on gasoline. There are huge issues with this which would also require a discussion of politics. Not going there.

Thorium reactors are an easier trick, proven in the 60?
Um, MIT?

Gotta think they know more than either of us....

As for lantern toolposts, I put mine in the drawer and haven't looked back since getting my QCTP. I can see a use for special situations and in that case having close fitting parts should make it work better. If yours is sloppy it probably makes sense to make new spacers which fit better. I'll bet that's what they did back in the day as the parts would have loosened up with use.

John

Just for grins I decided to see if I could cut threads on the body. Chose 20 tpi. Why? I don't have a good answer as to why 20 tpi. Didn't get very far. First I tried HSS. When the cutter hit the edge of the slot in the body the tip broke off. Tried a carbide tool bit with the same result. The carbide tool bit looked like it would have cut the thread if it hadn't been for the tip breaking off. The broken tip did remove some material.

Alternative energy is interesting to me from the technical aspects and not in the least from political implications. Many folks seem the think EV is “ no emissions” which of course comes under the no free lunch rule ;)

a nice flat surface with good down pressure from the tool post should give a rigid tool mount with a loose fit around the tool post. To my way of thinking. I have been thinking of making one for a friend.

id like a lantern style for my lathe as I can see benefits When using HSS particularly when it comes to reducing time grinding, the rocker is good for that though.

Back