Large Wooden Crate

I've always been confused by this and don't know if there is any standard. My theory (and the way my machines are setup) is to have the handle mimic the rotation of the chuck from the perspective of standing in front of it. The chuck spins from the top, toward you then, down which is the same motion as when pushing the handle down to start the chuck for normal cutting.

I'll try to find-out if there is a standard convention -but if there is and if it's different from what I have, I probably won't change mine as I'll no-doubt burn-up a couple inserts trying to cut backward.

Ray

I agree the handle should match the rotation of the chuck, that is intuitive imo so I'm quite happy with the way it was wired. One thing I do find annoying is the feed direction. Set one direction the carriage feeds right to left but I have to switch the feed direction the other way to face. While annoying I do see how that might save me from crashing into a part so maybe that's why.

Since I'm already complaining about things going the opposite direction I tell them too, then I guess Id better add that the lead screw lever is also backwards. When I throw it in the "left" position my carriage goes right, and vice-versa. I'd assume this is a gearing issues but once again, am not quite​ sure where to start.

I agree the handle should match the rotation of the chuck, that is intuitive imo so I'm quite happy with the way it was wired. One thing I do find annoying is the feed direction. Set one direction the carriage feeds right to left but I have to switch the feed direction the other way to face. While annoying I do see how that might save me from crashing into a part so maybe that's why.

I was always under the impression that was so you could feed left to turn the outside and then when your reach your shoulder, touch off and feed away (towards you) all in one gear setting...Image a sideways "L". Or feed right, then touch off the face of the part and feed inwards...At least that's how I used my 4003G.

Since I'm already complaining about things going the opposite direction I tell them too, then I guess Id better add that the lead screw lever is also backwards. When I throw it in the "left" position my carriage goes right, and vice-versa. I'd assume this is a gearing issues but once again, am not quite​ sure where to start.

Hmm, I'm 95% sure mine is the opposite, left on the lead screw lever is carriage left, crossfeed in and the lathes sure look essentially the same. I just dug up one of the pictures from the day it arrived, the image shows feed left when the lever is left and other than looking when i get home I'm sure that is correct. Very odd that yours is the opposite.

pm1440b levers.jpg

pm1440b levers.jpg

Hmm, I'm 95% sure mine is the opposite, left on the lead screw lever is carriage left, crossfeed in and the lathes sure look essentially the same. I just dug up one of the pictures from the day it arrived, the image shows feed left when the lever is left and other than looking when i get home I'm sure that is correct. Very odd that yours is the opposite.

View attachment 77041

Hi Mike...

They are different model lathes. ELV vs BV. They have different gearboxes all-together. Different speed ranges etc...

Ray

Yes indeed, that is why I said essentially the same. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've always been confused by this and don't know if there is any standard.

There is no standard. Lodge and Shipley set up theirs in UP=FWD, others set it up different. Ask 5 machinists, and 2 of them will say one way, and 3 will say the other. Many times, shops will have machines from different manufacturers that have spindle direction controls opposite. Go figure.

I am of the opinion that UP=FWD is right, but that is just because it is what I am used to. Not because it is right. But I would probably modify any lathe that did not meet that "standard".

I've always been confused by this and don't know if there is any standard. My theory (and the way my machines are setup) is to have the handle mimic the rotation of the chuck from the perspective of standing in front of it. The chuck spins from the top, toward you then, down which is the same motion as when pushing the handle down to start the chuck for normal cutting.

I'll try to find-out if there is a standard convention -but if there is and if it's different from what I have, I probably won't change mine as I'll no-doubt burn-up a couple inserts trying to cut backward.

Ray

Ray, for whatever its worth, The Acer `4X40 I presently own, down the chuck rotates toward me, up is reverse. The Jet 13X40 I had prior was just the opposite. Maybe there is no set protocol.

Bob

How odd...I would think that there would be a set standard. Too many carbide inserts meet their ends when the machines is thrown in reverse with the bit still touching.

Oh well, I suppose that toilet flush rotation doesn't even have a standard... :lmao:

Ray, for whatever its worth, The Acer `4X40 I presently own, down the chuck rotates toward me, up is reverse. The Jet 13X40 I had prior was just the opposite. Maybe there is no set protocol.

Bob

That is weird. I thought there was a standard myself because every lathe I have used (I have only used a few separate ones) has had the drum switch where down on the lever rotated the spindle towards the operator (conventional turning) and up on the switch lever turns the spindle away from the operator (reverse).

Our Jet 1336 is that way at work so it appears that even among Jet themselves there is no standard.

Mike.

Back