Last time, I promise: PM-1228 or PM-1236??

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
As some of you know, I placed an order for a PM-1228 on August 5th, 2021.

Now, I know... I started earlier last year (Jan 2020) asking about the small lathes just to start... bought nothing... then I asked about the PM1030 - bought nothing... then I asked about deciding between the 1030 and the 1130... and ended up ordering the PM-1228 - Here is that thread: PM-1030V or 1130V LATHE

PM Order.JPG

But since I have to wait so long for the PM-1228 to arrive... it has given me time to rethink the decision.

First of all... I do not wish to go any bigger... so please, do not waste your time telling me to go with the PM-1340GT ;). Just not happening, :D.

So... questions that I have:

1. Should I switch to the PM-1236-PEP w/DRO? I have several 220 volt outlets in the garage. That will not be an issue...
2. What do I gain with the PM-1236 over the PM-1228? Besides the obvious 8 inches between centers.
3. What do I lose with the PM-1236 over the PM-1228?
4. BXA (200 size) - QCTP on the PM-1236 over AXA (100 size) QCTP on the PM-1228 - any concerns with that? Or that is just what it is required on the PM-1236? Yes, I am searching and reading on this one... might find the answer with the search option.

This is what comes with the PM-1236:
  • PM-1236-PEP PRECISION 12″X36″ LATHE with 2axDRO
  • Welded Steel Stand
  • 6″ 3 Jaw Chuck with Inside and Outside Jaws
  • 8″ 4 Jaw Chuck with Reversible Jaws
  • 10″ Face Plate
  • Steady Rest
  • Follow Rest
  • Back Splash Guard
  • Inch and Metric Threading Capability
  • Thread Chasing Dial
  • Complete Steel Base with Chip Pan
  • 4 Way Tool Post
  • Dead Centers
  • Wedge Type Quick Change Tool Post Set with 5 Holders, (This set is BXA / 200 Size)
  • Clutch on Feed Rod, for use with Micrometer Carriage Stop *NEW*
  • Micrometer Carriage Stop
  • Foot Brake
  • Coolant System
  • L.E.D. Work Light
  • 2 axis Digital Readout, Installed on the machine
And with these added items total comes to: US$6,001.96
  • BXA Master Turning/Boring Tool Set
  • 1/8-5/8 Ultra Precision Keyless Drill Chuck MT3
  • 8 - Leveling Pads
  • MT-3 Slim Body Live Center
  • Shipping and Liftgate Delivery

This is what comes with the PM-1228:

• PM-1228VF-LB PRECISION 12″X28″ LATHE with 2axDRO
  • 6″ 3 Jaw Chuck, Scroll Type
  • Brushless DC, Variable Speed Drive Motor
  • Variable Speed by Knob, new design
  • D1-4 Camlock Spindle Mount
  • Ready for our AXA Wedge Type Tool Post Set, (At additional cost)
  • Steady Rest
  • Follow Rest
  • Chip Pan
  • Back Splash Guard
  • Inch and Metric Threading Ability, with minimal change gears needed, 15 quick lever changes with each gear set
  • Thread Chasing Dial, with 8 markings, 32 Tooth gear, 8 TPI Leadscrew
  • Dead Centers
  • Misc. Tools for operation (Wrenches, etc)
  • Power Cross Feed, In, Out, Left, and Right Feed
  • Left Hand thread cutting with the flip of a lever
  • Large 1-1/2″ Spindle Bore

And with these added items total comes to: US$6,096.86
  • PM-1228VF-LB Stand
  • Wedge Quick Change Tool Post Set, AXA Size
  • AXA Master Turning/Boring Tool Set
  • MT-3 Slim Body Live Center
  • 1/8-5/8 Ultra Precision Keyless Drill Chuck MT3
  • 6" Precision 4 Jaw Lathe Chuck, D1-4 Mount
  • 8 Leveling pads
  • Shipping and Liftgate Delivery

At the suggestion of a few folks, I will also add the ER-40 Adjustable Collet Chuck, and Collet sets, with the order.

Last edited:
I have the PM1236T, I'm not sure what the PEP means so I'll pretend I know what I'm talking about :), If you have the room and budget for the 36"- do it. You'll get: more weight and a bit more stability, have that much more space for attachments like bigger chucks, drill chucks, long drill bits- etc, threading/tapping tools, the tail stock can be moved out of the way that much more. The larger lathe will have better resale value when your kids sell it.
Remember, the attachments that come with the machine are for getting you going faster and can be upgraded if you want. It's harder to upgrade the lathe features. -Yes, I'm happy with it, but to be honest I do far more work on the Mill.

I could swear the 1236 used to come with AXA stuff, but whatever, BXA is going to be more rigid and probably a useful upgrade. As the cost is similar, go with the 1236. It's tough to overstate the advantages rigidity provides. The 1236 is a heavier more rigid machine, a bigger difference than you might think. It also comes with the option to use coolant and a foot brake, which can be nice. And don't forget the included LED flashlight!! You need that!!! :)

The gearbox is more complete I believe as well, so less need to mess with the change gears. Always nice. I don't think you really lose anything with the larger machine. Perhaps if you wanted to move it often?

@Aukai I see a pile of chips. There's a lathe in there?!? :)

I'm going to go duck the incoming scrap pieces from Hawaii. :)

12x36 for sure, if for no other reason than the weight.

I have the PM1236T, I'm not sure what the PEP means so I'll pretend I know what I'm talking about :), If you have the room and budget for the 36"- do it. You'll get: more weight and a bit more stability, have that much more space for attachments like bigger chucks, drill chucks, long drill bits- etc, threading/tapping tools, the tail stock can be moved out of the way that much more. The larger lathe will have better resale value when your kids sell it.
Remember, the attachments that come with the machine are for getting you going faster and can be upgraded if you want. It's harder to upgrade the lathe features. -Yes, I'm happy with it, but to be honest I do far more work on the Mill.

PEP - Preferred Package With DRO

Price wise is a wash between the two... I am really trying to figure out which of the two would be the best option.

Also, I don't have a PM, but AXA seems to be the recommended size for a 12x36. BXA is great unless it limits how low you can put bigger tools.

So you mentioned about not bringing up the 1340GT. I won't. But I would get the Eisen 1440. See how I did that? Not a single mention about getting the 1340GT nor beating you up about it. Nope. Not a word. :p :laughing:

There's a fellow on YouTube with an 8 part series I think, where he reviews the 1228. He had a friend who bought the 1236, and he gives a very comprehensive comparison between the two. I can't recall the name, but I remember when I saw it that his name rung a bell. I mean to say he's a professional in some field I've puttered around in. Give it a search. I think you'll be interested to hear what he has to say.

I so much hate to see people spend over $6000 on these kind of lathes when there are so many good used real lathes around.
Yes they are around. On Craigslist today there is a Hardinge HLV-H for that price. You would like this SO much better.

Edit: I was wrong. It’s for $5000.

Back