Last time, I promise: PM-1228 or PM-1236??

Also, I don't have a PM, but AXA seems to be the recommended size for a 12x36. BXA is great unless it limits how low you can put bigger tools.

That is why I was asking... so far, from what I have read, for installing a AXA I would need to mill a spacer to get it to the correct height. The other benefits I have found are that the closer to the center of the compound the tool tip is the more rigid the setup will be. The AXA has the advantage there, as the BXA moves it farther to the left and forward.

But I do not know if PM would install the AXA instead... they have the BXA listed for the PM-1236, not the AXA...

You know me... complete newbie. Asking away to make an informed decision.

There's a fellow on YouTube with an 8 part series I think, where he reviews the 1228. He had a friend who bought the 1236, and he gives a very comprehensive comparison between the two. I can't recall the name, but I remember when I saw it that his name rung a bell. I mean to say he's a professional in some field I've puttered around in. Give it a search. I think you'll be interested to hear what he has to say.

That must be Frank Hoose... let me see if I find that video. I have been watching his 8 part series on the 1228...

EDIT: Found it... it was the last video, reason why I had not seen it... was getting to it. Currently on video #6... Let me take a look at that one now... Comparison starts at 7:08

That is why I was asking... so far, from what I have read, for installing a AXA I would need to mill a spacer to get it to the correct height. The other benefits I have found are that the closer to the center of the compound the tool tip is the more rigid the setup will be. The AXA has the advantage there, as the BXA moves it farther to the left and forward.

But I do not know if PM would install the AXA instead... they have the BXA listed for the PM-1236, not the AXA...

You know me... complete newbie. Asking away to make an informed decision.
It is all about the height from the top of the compound to the centerline of the spindle. If the toolpost is too small, a riser needs to be added and you should have bought a bigger one. If the toolpost is too big, the meatier tool holders add extra height below the tool (not counting the larger tools themselves) and you find that you are limited in the size of tools you can put in and still adjust the top below centerline.

The height should be published by the toolpost manufacturer. Shars AXA wedge post for example:
1629143536135.png

Now there is a lot of overlap on the BXA
1629143595675.png

But I know on my Enco 110-2033 (Grizzly G9249 equivalent), the compound to spindle centerline is something like an 1.25". The AXA is perfect and a BXA would have been too big. If I have to use a 5/8" tool, I mill the bottom of the tool down by 1/8".

Okay... let me call the folks at Precision Matthews...

Done!

Went with the PM-1236-PEP PRECISION 12″X36″ LATHE with 2axDRO- this includes the following:
  • Welded Steel Stand
  • 6″ 3 Jaw Chuck with Inside and Outside Jaws
  • 8″ 4 Jaw Chuck with Reversible Jaws
  • 10″ Face Plate
  • Steady Rest
  • Follow Rest
  • Back Splash Guard
  • Inch and Metric Threading Capability
  • Thread Chasing Dial
  • Complete Steel Base with Chip Pan
  • 4 Way Tool Post
  • Dead Centers
  • Wedge Type Quick Change Tool Post Set with 5 Holders, (This set is BXA / 200 Size)
  • Clutch on Feed Rod, for use with Micrometer Carriage Stop *NEW*
  • Micrometer Carriage Stop
  • Foot Brake
  • Coolant System
  • L.E.D. Work Light
  • 2 axis Digital Readout, Installed on the machine
And with these added items/accessories :
  • BXA Master Turning/Boring Tool Set - they assured me that this was the correct one for my lathe...
  • 1/8-5/8 Ultra Precision Keyless Drill Chuck MT3
  • 8 - Leveling Pads
  • MT-3 Slim Body Live Center
  • ER-40 Adjustable Collet Chuck, D1-4 Mount
  • 15 Pc Precision Inch ER-40 Collet Set, 1/8″ to 1″
  • Shipping and Liftgate Delivery
If I did the math correctly, the new total came to: US$6,401.87 . They are sending me all updated documents/sales order in a few minutes... Done! Finito! No mas!

Thank you all again for your comments!

Last edited:
I so much hate to see people spend over $6000 on these kind of lathes when there are so many good used real lathes around.
Yes they are around. On Craigslist today there is a Hardinge HLV-H for that price. You would like this SO much better.

Edit: I was wrong. It’s for $5000.

I understand... but being a newbie, and not having someone close by to guide me on the purchased of used equipment... I just do not want to have to worry about buying used and trying to figure out if something is missing, broke, or whatnot...

Used gear can be great, but it can also be junk. You need to be able to tell the difference if you want to go that way. Even the best brand can be abused and worn out. New import can have issues as well, but a good vendor like PM will help you out if something is wrong. And there are likely other people here that own them, we can sometimes help as well.

Even a little experience on a lathe can help you a lot when looking for other machines. I was able to diagnose a Bridgeport mill as being dirty but in overall good shape. After a lot of work cleaning it up, it works great for me. Around here, I've seen a decent priced lathe in good condition maybe once a year. Most of them are left outdoors and likely rusted into a single solid mass. And still listed for $3k+. A couple others a year that look like the seller cleaned and painted them to "flip" them. They look nice in the photos, but have wear on the ways up by the chuck when they show photos there.

Some other areas have a lot of machines to choose from. Those areas might be better served by going used.

Glad I did this today... price for the PM-1236 had gone up another 300.00... but the website was not updated. They honored the pricing on the website and adjusted the invoice accordingly.

PM-1236 Final Order.JPG

Last edited:
Congrats, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Different machine but my Samson (Tida) 12x36 I have both an AXA and a BXA toolpost and both look like they will work.

John

Congrats, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Different machine but my Samson (Tida) 12x36 I have both an AXA and a BXA toolpost and both look like they will work.

John

Thank you. I will see what it would take to install the AXA tool holder and go with that... seems all the holders and tools for the AXA are less expensive as well... Since I will be using this just to learn and as a hobby, I do not see the need to buy those big cutters...

At least that is what I am thinking for now... who knows in a few years...

Back