Last time, I promise: PM-1228 or PM-1236??

Speaking from personal experience, a 12x36 is perfect for me and the work I do on it. Mine is a '94 Enco import model (Taiwan I think). Had a few issues but overall runs great. Even being old and not finished nearly as well as a PM machine, I can hold 0.0002" on diameter and have the taper nearly completely adjusted out.

An aftermarket DRO with LCD display and 0.0001" cross slide resolution on diameter can be had for $250 from AliExpress. Install for any DRO is a pain but good quality low cost alternatives exist.

I personally would NOT go with a 13" lathe because I need to move all my machines into a basement. a 12" lathe is possible (not easy), but I'd consider a 13" practically impossible.

quality issues on this PM1236 has me worried.
Waiting will just make it another year that you don't get to use a lathe. Most of the issues haven't been deal killers for working OK. Prices have been going up and likely will continue as inflation continues. 5 years ago I bought a PM1440HD. It had some issues but nothing that kept it from working OK. Current price on a similar lathe is up a lot.

I have the PM1236T, I'm not sure what the PEP means so I'll pretend I know what I'm talking about :), If you have the room and budget for the 36"- do it. You'll get: more weight and a bit more stability, have that much more space for attachments like bigger chucks, drill chucks, long drill bits- etc, threading/tapping tools, the tail stock can be moved out of the way that much more. The larger lathe will have better resale value when your kids sell it.
Remember, the attachments that come with the machine are for getting you going faster and can be upgraded if you want. It's harder to upgrade the lathe features. -Yes, I'm happy with it, but to be honest I do far more work on the Mill.
Do the SLP and PEP refer to the standard and preferred package? i.e. additional accessories? Just starting down the rabbit hole.

Terry - W6LMJ

I just realized that I never provided a final update to this thread...

I ended up with a used lathe. Found locally (less than 30 miles from my house): Grizzly G0709 14x40 lathe

Here is the thread on that one:

Back