Last time, I promise: PM-1228 or PM-1236??

Wish me luck lifting my 1340 with a HF hoist! ;-p
That is one sweet lathe...

I could not muster the courage and $$ to go for that one... Not because of lack of folks here trying to push me gently into getting one :D:D

Heck, I started with a 2K budget... then 4K then 6K.... That 1340 would have taken me to the 10K range... I need to build the shop first. Plus I really do not see myself needing anything larger than 11x30... the 12x36 was already a stretch. I just want to play in the garage....

I have moved a 13x40 with the smaller HF hoist, shouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't extending it all the way out.

John
I have the bigger one. Good to have some fudge strength!

That is one sweet lathe...

I could not muster the courage and $$ to go for that one... Not because of lack of folks here trying to push me gently into getting one :D:D

Heck, I started with a 2K budget... then 4K then 6K.... That 1340 would have taken me to the 10K range... I need to build the shop first. Plus I really do not see myself needing anything larger than 11x30... the 12x36 was already a stretch. I just want to play in the garage....
Was lucky enough to order before the price increase...but yeah, it is an investment for sure.

Was lucky enough to order before the price increase...but yeah, it is an investment for sure.
So many attachment for that one. You choose wisely, even it has taken forever to arrive. The option of the 5C lever type collet closer, taper attachment, etc... Trust me, the temptation was there... You will enjoy that puppy.

So many attachment for that one. You choose wisely, even it has taken forever to arrive. The option of the 5C lever type collet closer, taper attachment, etc... Trust me, the temptation was there... You will enjoy that puppy.
I am excited for sure. Did not go with a collet closer or taper attachment on this order, but I dod opt for the ER40 Chuck.

I also looked for over a year for a used lathe. I think you made a good choice. The BAX tool holders can use any size tooling up to 5/8". For HSS tools I will often use smaller, 3/8" as long as I don't need a lot of stick out. It is a lot faster to grind a 3/8 than a 5/8. If you find a bargain pile of 3/4" tools you can buy the X model tool holders that fit the BAX tool post. Shars sells them.

Prices have sure gone up!
I bought a PM1440HD, 3 hp. 5 years ago, time flies. It was about the same price as your 1236! But you need some serious lifting means. The 1440 with cast iron base weighs about 3,000#. I've got a corner of my business building where we have loading docks, a 5,000# fork lift & 3 phase power. For a home shop single phase should do fine. Have fun!

TheKoba49, yes, I watched his videos as well... at the end of the day, for me, both being just about the same price, I went with the 1236... I have 220 single phase in the garage of the new house. I asked for several 220 outlets because I knew I needed one for the air compressor, one for the stove (powder coating), and in case I needed more for something else. That was a good thing because I could make my decision independent of voltage required.

View attachment 383527

View attachment 383528

Getting it in the garage is also not going to be an issue... long, fairly flat, driveway... I decided not to put it in the future detached garage/workshop that I hope to build next year... Figured I would use it more if it was closer.... Plus I did not wanted to get it all dirty from any other work that I did in the workshop... The VW, all the car projects really, and motorcycles would be in the workshop...We just finished the shed for all the gardening stuff... So that single bay garage side would be my area for the lathes, mill/s, and a stove a friend gave me... And for the first time in 30 years, my wife is looking forward to parking her car inside the garage...

I will not lie, I still go back and forth but hold my self from making anymore changes.... the wait is a PITA because it gives me time to second guess my decision... I still go to craigslist and see these used ones and think of cancelling the order and getting something locally used (something I was against at first and not so much now...) Imagine all the additional tools I can buy with the $$ money saved...
Sweet projects you've got there. Hey, I always wanted a Radio Flyer too!

You can put short things on a long lathe, it gets real tricky getting long things on a short lathe. I love my 1340 :grin:
Did you just cut the middle out and slide a box in? If so, have you noticed any adverse side effects from not having the 2 ends connected?

I did a special order on a 24” bed PM-1236T, I’m glad I didn’t order the 36” bed as that would have been way too big for my workshop.

Man... reading the threads with some quality issues on this PM1236 has me worried...

Thinking of cancelling the order... I know, I know... It is a Chinese lathe and for the price point (compared to other brands), it is what it is...

But I wonder if I should just wait another year to save up for the 1236T... at which point I would be better off going with the 1340GT for a few hundred dollars more... sigh....

Back