Last time, I promise: PM-1228 or PM-1236??

I did a special order on a 24” bed PM-1236T, I’m glad I didn’t order the 36” bed as that would have been way too big for my workshop.
I have a 36" bed on my SB 9.. and it has been too short many times. When I have been asked to fix things for people, you never know what you are getting. In general I would say 24 would be way to short for my needs.. I wish I had a 12 or 14 Inch lathe too. but I'm in the basement, so limited by what I can get down , and back up there.

@wachuko here are some recent pics to further cloud your purchasing judgement...Just kidding! Which ever machine you go with, you will have a blast! I think at the beginning of this year, the 1340GT was the price/performance sweet spot, but the prices have surged. When is yours slated to be stateside?

tempImageP416p6.jpg
tempImageVcup4W.jpg
tempImagenjBIjA.jpg
tempImageJBT6CS.jpg

Yeah, I have been following your thread, no need to rub it in hahahahahhahaha :D

I have not called them to check... when I placed the order (back in August), I was told around January...

I have been going over the numbers here... trying to see how I can make this work... I don't need DRO on the lathe... A must on the mill... At least I do not need it right away on the lathe... maybe look to adding that at a later time...

PM-1340GT 13"X40" ULTRA PRECISION LATHE $9,143.91 !! :oops:
PM-1340GT Lathe – PM-1340GT-PEP-1PH
PM-1340GT HEAVY WELDED STEEL STAND
MICROMETER CARRIAGE STOP
WEDGE QUICK CHANGE TOOL POST SET, BXA SIZE
8" HIGH PRECISION 4 JAW LATHE CHUCK, D1-4 MOUNT
1/8-5/8 ULTRA PRECISION KEYLESS DRILL CHUCK MT3
BXA MASTER TURNING/BORING TOOL SET
MT-3 SLIM BODY LIVE CENTER
ER-40 ADJUSTABLE COLLET CHUCK, D1-4 MOUNT
5-C ADJUSTABLE COLLET CHUCK, D1-4 MOUNT

That is 3K more than the Chinese built PM1236... That is what I want to spend on a used knee mill...

I think it is cheaper to stop reading the threads and stay with what I ordered :grin big::grin big:

Still thinking... still thinking...

Last edited:
Maybe just stick with plan A and spend some time on it figuring out what you really need,especially since it's on the way, and also get the mill. Down the road if you still think you need a bigger one , cut the other one loose and move on to the larger one OR find used big lathe down road and keep Both!!

Maybe just stick with plan A and spend some time on it figuring out what you really need,especially since it's on the way, and also get the mill. Down the road if you still think you need a bigger one , cut the other one loose and move on to the larger one OR find used big lathe down road and keep Both!!
Yes... will stick to plan A... That is $$ that can go to the mill... which I want even more than a larger lathe at this moment...

No I haven't , but now I'm going to have too!! Thanks for the tip!!! :aok:

Man... reading the threads with some quality issues on this PM1236 has me worried...

Thinking of cancelling the order... I know, I know... It is a Chinese lathe and for the price point (compared to other brands), it is what it is...

But I wonder if I should just wait another year to save up for the 1236T... at which point I would be better off going with the 1340GT for a few hundred dollars more... sigh....

Not to cause you more dithering but you've got the 9x20 to play with now. Not an ideal machine but it is capable and gives you something to learn and practice with. You seem to be enjoying the idea of working on older machines.

The 1236 is plenty big enough for the average home shop guy, and it seems to be a good lathe overall. On the other hand for the price, given some time you could easily find yourself a used lathe of at least equal capacity, and likely larger for about 1/2 the money, but a larger investment in time. With a budget of $4000 you could easily wind up with a nice vintage 15" or 16" lathe if you wanted to go that large.

Do you need the 1236 now, or can you get along with the 9x20 while you hunt for a long term lathe?
Nobody likes to back out after placing an order but with the long waiting lists on machines I don't think backing out hurts PM, somebody else will just get their lathe a little sooner.

If you stick with the current plan I doubt you will be disappointed with the 1236, but vintage machines do have a lot more character...

Not to cause you more dithering but you've got the 9x20 to play with now. Not an ideal machine but it is capable and gives you something to learn and practice with. You seem to be enjoying the idea of working on older machines.

The 1236 is plenty big enough for the average home shop guy, and it seems to be a good lathe overall. On the other hand for the price, given some time you could easily find yourself a used lathe of at least equal capacity, and likely larger for about 1/2 the money, but a larger investment in time. With a budget of $4000 you could easily wind up with a nice vintage 15" or 16" lathe if you wanted to go that large.

Do you need the 1236 now, or can you get along with the 9x20 while you hunt for a long term lathe?
Nobody likes to back out after placing an order but with the long waiting lists on machines I don't think backing out hurts PM, somebody else will just get their lathe a little sooner.

If you stick with the current plan I doubt you will be disappointed with the 1236, but vintage machines do have a lot more character...

Man... all of the above...

I think that I can get along with the small lathe that I have for now...

I hate to back out of an order already placed... but the concern is more of pitfalls of a Chinese lathe vs. Taiwan vs. US made...

And I might be losing the fear of buying something old... I really like the looks of those old lathes... Slowly but surely I am getting hooked on those old machines...

@wachuko here are some recent pics to further cloud your purchasing judgement...Just kidding! Which ever machine you go with, you will have a blast! I think at the beginning of this year, the 1340GT was the price/performance sweet spot, but the prices have surged. When is yours slated to be stateside?

View attachment 385731View attachment 385732View attachment 385733View attachment 385734
That lathe is beautiful.
Too clean too. Where the heck are the chips?

Back