Latest knife, finished today

Sir;

Once you start thinking about how much you make your interest will wane, and your quality will go to hell.

Been there.

Stay with quality and keep your heart in it as it shows now.

Really nice knife. I am making a few myself, but nothing as fancy as your knife.

Are you going to any shows. I plan on the Arkansas show in Feb. and the Atlanta blade show in early June. No table though.

Really nice knife. I am making a few myself, but nothing as fancy as your knife.

Are you going to any shows. I plan on the Arkansas show in Feb. and the Atlanta blade show in early June. No table though.

alw, Not going to any shows, at this time, I use to go to the Blade Show in Atlanta, years ago, I was getting into the Guild and was a probationary member, but girls were all getting in to High School and there just wasn't enough time, Priorities, my wife & three daughters won out, I might try to get back in one of these days, Thanks for your comments.

fretsman, Sorry for not answering your questions, I use flat black rust oliam for the black, I've thought about baking enamel, they say if its wanted out, you have to chip it out. Supposed to last forever. Also for learning, I was blessed to have someone about 30 mls away that is doing it & helped me alot, But there are classed taught in Emporia Kansas at the GRS Engraving school. Google GRS Engraving & you'll find it.

davidh, I try real hard to not mess up but when the tip of your graver chips, it can happen and the damage is done before you can stop it, so then you just have to use your imagination to fix it, I messed up on this one, but the scratch ended up being in a good place, the back ground removed a lot of it & the shading finished covering it up so all went well, but that's not always the case. I use a microscope made for engraving, I wish now that I had've spent more money and got a better one, mine works ok but it does have issues. My eyes started getting worse when I turned 40, now at 49 my wife buys reading glasses in all different strengths by the 3pack at WalMart. I've got them scattered all over my knife shop & engraving room, also have magna visor that I wear constantly, wear the visor with glasses a lot of the time.

Last edited:
I do like to see & appreciate beautiful things, and you have definitely made one there!
Nice one Dwayne :thumbsup:

fretsman, Sorry for not answering your questions, I use flat black rust oliam for the black, I've thought about baking enamel, they say if its wanted out, you have to chip it out. Supposed to last forever. Also for learning, I was blessed to have someone about 30 mls away that is doing it & helped me alot, But there are classed taught in Emporia Kansas at the GRS Engraving school. Google GRS Engraving & you'll find it.

No worries, Dwayne, and thank you, I appreciate the info and I look forward to seeing more-

Dave

Just finished this one, the last one for Christmas, The liners and bolsters are titanium, masked stuff off with fingernail polish for anodizing, it's hard to tell, but the center of the flower is more purple than the outside of the bolsters and the liners. Stainless damascus blade & space bar, fileworked liners, Abalone scales, and a horse hair lanyard, for going in the lady's purse, still have to make a little clip that will attach close to the frayed end of the lanyard, to clip on the edge of her purse, the knife will dangle down inside the purse in a leather pourch, This one is 3-1/4" close with a 2-5/8" blade.

TammyShanks.jpgTammyShanks2.jpgTammyShanks3.jpg

TammyShanks.jpg TammyShanks2.jpg TammyShanks3.jpg

thanks 7mag, The pictures aren't very good, the masking for the anodizing was a bugger, especially the fine lines on the on the initials, I thought my paint brush was small until I got it under the microscope & started painting.

Last edited:
Back