Latest knife, finished today

Thanks guys, I appreciate your kind comments. I really enjoy building this type of folder.

Dwayne

Very nice work! Anyone doubt the value of these pieces of art just grab a file and start making one yourself! I don't even like to sharpen a knife.
I have a friend that is a knife maker. Google Lamont Coombs knives. He too puts out some real pieces of art. I try to buy at least one of his "work" knives a year.

Papermaker, Thanks for the kind words, there really is a lot that goes into these things, I really enjoy doing it, trying to get better & better, there's a great deal to learn and so many ways to go, so many forms, styles, materials. I love doing it, I'm always seeing someone else's work that inspires me. Mr Coombs does very nice work! I enjoyed looking at some of it.

Dwayne

Very, very nice knives. The patterned steel (damascus) do you make it yourself or do you buy it? It looks like a high quality type, I have thought about getting some, but the real nice stuff from the powdered mixes is hellishly expensive in Oz, and the indian made stuff is nowhere near as nice.

Cheers

Ed.

Very, very nice knives. The patterned steel (damascus) do you make it yourself or do you buy it? It looks like a high quality type, I have thought about getting some, but the real nice stuff from the powdered mixes is hellishly expensive in Oz, and the indian made stuff is nowhere near as nice.

Cheers

Ed.

Thank you Ed for the kind comments, No I'm not making my own as of yet, but getting geared up for it, I've been working on my shop getting things organized for some time and getting closer all the time, I have a 1911 25lb little giant trip hammer & just bought a 50lb that needs a little work, also have a 40 ton hydraulic press that needs to be reworked, have the forges & other tools as well, So far I've bought my Damascus from Devin Thomas & his brother Rob Thomas out of Nevada, also use some Damasteel, it's pricey but worth it. Thanks again for the kind comments,

Dwayne

Well, I know this is resurrecting a thread from the dead, perhaps, but at the risk of offending forum protocol, I want to say thanks to you, Dwayne - YEARS ago your DVD on hollow grinding was a major stepping stone in my own knifemaking. Judging by this thread, your work is still exceptional!

Those guys charging $75/hour are probably taking home around 25, with the rest being overhead to pay for tools, vehicles, secretary, management, utilities, insurance, profit for the company, etc. That being said, I don't do any work out of my shop for money, as I don't want to turn it into another job. I have traded some machine work for manual labor, though. I like to get about a 1:5 return on that, one hour of my machine work to 5 hours of helping me with paving stones or construction around the house. I may move that way as I get closer to retirement, but for now I'll just piddle with my own stuff. Very nice work, by the way. The engraving is neat, I've seen demonstrations at he NAMES expo, but it's not something I have time to try to learn right now. Take care.

Back