Lathe and mill on the way, now what

Curious if you use Boelube just for tapping, or in an MQL system, or if you're using it as a flood coolant. I use a variety of coolant products depending on the stituation, but my system is MQL, so I prefer a coolant that is specifically designed for MQL such as the Unist Coolube 2210XP for steels or denatured alcohol for aluminum as described in the attached.
I just started using Boelube and not in an MQL system, yet. However, if you go to their website here, there is a lot of information there, including the process for utilizing Boelube in MQL. Here is a tidbit copied and pasted from their website...

Manufactured from personal care ingredients, BOELUBE is biodegradable and dermal non-irritant.
BOELUBE is non-corrosive, non-flammable, chemically stable, and free of halogens, sulfur, phosphorus, silicone, petroleum and paraffin wax.
BOELUBE does not contain any ingredients considered a hazardous substance by OSHA, WHMIS, IARC, NTP and State Regulatory Lists. Refer to Safety Data Sheets for additional information.
BOELUBE will not promote dermatitis, provides a high degree of worker safety, and presents a safe effective method to machine various types of materials without special handling, fluid recycling, or typical disposal issues.
BOELUBE can be removed from surfaces using isopropyl alcohol, denatured alcohol, MEK, or aqueous cleaner.
BOELUBE has an indefinite shelf life.
BOELUBE is in most cases compatible with paints and sealants (though it is highly recommended that compatibility be determined before use).
BOELUBE provides superior lubrication when machining or forming the increasingly complex range of materials now being used in Aerospace and other manufacturing industries.

I used some of the liquid on my bandsaw over the weekend and I was quite impressed. The same goes for the paste I used while drilling a .625" hole through some 3/8" stock.

I just started using Boelube and not in an MQL system, yet. However, if you go to their website here,there is a lot of information there, including the process for utilizing Boelube in MQL. Here is a tidbit copied and pasted from their website...

Manufactured from personal care ingredients, BOELUBE is biodegradable and dermal non-irritant.
BOELUBE is non-corrosive, non-flammable, chemically stable, and free of halogens, sulfur, phosphorus, silicone, petroleum and paraffin wax.
BOELUBE does not contain any ingredients considered a hazardous substance by OSHA, WHMIS, IARC, NTP and State Regulatory Lists. Refer to Safety Data Sheets for additional information.
BOELUBE will not promote dermatitis, provides a high degree of worker safety, and presents a safe effective method to machine various types of materials without special handling, fluid recycling, or typical disposal issues.
BOELUBE can be removed from surfaces using isopropyl alcohol, denatured alcohol, MEK, or aqueous cleaner.
BOELUBE is in most cases compatible with paints and sealants (though it is highly recommended that compatibility be determined before use).
BOELUBE provides superior lubrication when machining or forming the increasingly complex range of materials now being used in Aerospace and other manufacturing industries.

I used some of the liquid on my bandsaw over the weekend and I was quite impressed. The same goes for the paste I used while drilling a .625" hole through some 3/8" stock.
Thanks Neil. I'll give it a try. Looking at the text above, the paste version shares many characteristics with AnchorLube which is terrific for tapping difficult materials.

I just started using Boelube and not in an MQL system, yet. However, if you go to their website here,there is a lot of information there, including the process for utilizing Boelube in MQL. Here is a tidbit copied and pasted from their website...

Good information. Thanks

Is the main benefit of the Techniks collets the accuracy? I see the PM set has .0005 vs the Techniks which is guaranteed at .0002

Techniks have less TIR and are probably a better finished collet. I just got their 1/2" ER32 today to setup my edge finder ball, which needs to be centered to within 0.0001". Not really doable if your collets have a TIR in the 0.0005-7 range. Also not that we will see the difference but in a production setting the higher TIR equates to decrease cutter life ~10% for every 0.0001". Techniks ER collets are mid priced range, and offers some of the highest precision as to TIR for these type of collets.

If you are using them for holding end mills, then you only need a limited number of sizes because end mill shafts be in 1/8" increments. If you are using them on a lathe to hold stock then you want a full set. Note that the collapsible range/accuracy can vary based on the type and quality of the ER collet you buy, some are designed as a fixed shaft size with a narrower +/- range. TIR also needs to be checked at different distance from the collet/chuck. I previously had a 12-13 mm ER collet and when collapsed midway for a 1/2" shaft the TIR at the tip of the indicator was not so good. I recently added a Rego-Fix bearing nut, so as David mentioned you need to look at the complete holding system and verify the accuracy.

So I found some extra cash under the mattress and am thinking of upgrading the mill from the 932v to the 940v. Seems like they really upgraded the spindle on the 940 to be able to handle 5K RPM. Only thing I wonder about is the stiffness vs the 932 with all the extra extension the 940 has hanging out so far from the column.

Also wonder if the chucks that come with the lathe are worth using or if an immediate upgrade is on the menu?

My guess is the lathe chucks are fine for the beginner machinist. If on the other hand a professional were building parts for NASA they would probably not use a chuck sold for a hobby machine.

I learned on my original 3 jaw, and 4 jaw that came with my lathe. If you show an interest in upgrading later the resident money spenders will guide you to good deals on top tier chucks. There is a difference, but you wouldn't know until you upgrade.

When I ordered my mill last year, I bought just the immediately needed tooling and instrumentation to get me going and keep the cost down. Now that the mill has paid for itself and generating income for the shop, I have lots of tooling and goodies that I really want, on the way; DX6 vise, Woodruff Cutter Set, Module 1 Gear cutter set, Sine Bar, Gauge Block Set, adjustable Parallels, ER32 Chuck and Collets etc. (well, the ER32 stuff is really for my lathe,truth be told). The tooling and metrology needs never really end!

Back