Lathe and mill on the way, now what

When I ordered my mill last year, I bought just the immediately needed tooling and instrumentation to get me going and keep the cost down. Now that the mill has paid for itself and generating income for the shop, I have lots of tooling and goodies that I really want, on the way; DX6 vise, Woodruff Cutter Set, Module 1 Gear cutter set, Sine Bar, Gauge Block Set, adjustable Parallels, ER32 Chuck and Collets etc. (well, the ER32 stuff is really for my lathe,truth be told). The tooling and metrology needs never really end!
Ain't that the truth....it never ends

I'm in the same boat. I'm waiting for the back orders on the PM-1440GT-PEP-1PH and PM-833TV. I've never used either of these tools before, but like you, have lately felt strongly compelled to start with them. I intend to learn how to make steam engines.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions in this thread, I've made many notes.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat. I'm waiting for the back orders on the PM-1440GT-PEP-1PH and PM-833TV. I've never used either of these tools before, but like you, have lately felt strongly compelled to start with them. I intend to learn how to make steam engines.

Welcome to the club. I received my PM 1054TV Jan 5 and now waiting on our PM1340GT. The wait is not going to be fun. LOL

What’s your thoughts on the single speed belt drive? That’s the main thing making me not consider the 833tv as I want to eventually do cnc but I know I’m going to be cutting a lot of stainless as well and need more low end. I suppose you could always make a second set of drive pulleys and just swap them out. Not a fast change though

What’s your thoughts on the single speed belt drive? That’s the main thing making me not consider the 833tv as I want to eventually do cnc but I know I’m going to be cutting a lot of stainless as well and need more low end. I suppose you could always make a second set of drive pulleys and just swap them out. Not a fast change though
This may fall under the "I dont know what I dont know" category. My PM sales person suggested that this machine would serve my needs and keep me within my budget. Perhaps I need to look at that question again since I may want to work with stainless at some point. That said, I am also interested in CNC.

This may fall under the "I dont know what I dont know" category. My PM sales person suggested that this machine would serve my needs and keep me within my budget. Perhaps I need to look at that question again since I may want to work with stainless at some point. That said, I am also interested in CNC.

I can’t tell you what it can and can’t do but it seems understood that at low speeds / frequencies on the vfd drives you don’t have a lot of torque so if the operation calls for a low speed you won’t be able to attack the material very hard.
All the other belt drive machines have a low speed range for the belt to help that problem.

The low-speed torque of the 833TV is discussed in the following video starting at 4:25 in the timeline. This user opted to replace the stock motor with a vector rated BlackMax replacement to get better low end torque. I did the same on my 1340GT lathe, and the new Baldor vector rated motor gives me outstanding torque and HP across the range of 10-120Hz.

The low-speed torque of the 833TV is discussed in the following video starting at 4:25 in the timeline. This user opted to replace the stock motor with a vector rated BlackMax replacement to get better low end torque. I did the same on my 1340GT lathe, and the new Baldor vector rated motor gives me outstanding torque and HP across the range of 10-120Hz.

Is PM's Baldor motor option worthwhile then?

I’m not aware of a PM baldor option. I bought my Baldor independent of PM. Several others have upgraded their PM machines to Marathon BlackMax for vector rated motors.

Is PM's Baldor motor option worthwhile then?
I saw a post where Matt said he started carrying the baldor motors when there was an import tax on lathes above 1.5 hp. So he would import peoples lathes with 1.5hp and then with the savings be able to put in USA made motor of the pull 2 hp for the same price as the tax. AFAIK its the same type of motor as the Chinese one and would have the same torque graph

Last edited:
Back