Lathe Face Plate

A 12" face plate came with my lathe. The slots allow fixturing odd shaped parts. Not used often but when, handy. Can be time consuming to set the work up. Most of the time it is just used to drive a lathe dog for turning between centers.

/ Not I!

Whew!! Thanks for all the info! I have much to think about..
RWDENNEY: I'm counting 7 tpi on my spindle and 2.375 (it appears), you mentioned 6 tpi. I counted the TPI on a scale...wonder what's up.

Again, thanks all!

RWDENNEY: I'm counting 7 tpi on my spindle and 2.375 (it appears), you mentioned 6 tpi. I counted the TPI on a scale...wonder what's up.

Again, thanks all!

So you measured 7 tpi on a thread pitch gauge?

FE1FC9EE-161C-4D5E-88B2-DC6DE33628FC.jpeg

No, none of my TPI gauges go that low, I counted the thread peaks using a steel Starrett scale...7 thread peaks in one inch...counting the peak at the end all the way to 1".

Maybe I screwed up...think it's 6 TPI?

Last edited:

Again, thanks all!

You count the spaces not the peaks. Six threads/inch will put the seventh thread peak on the 1" mark, but there will only be six spaces. That seventh peak is really the first peak for the next inch.

Rick "frequent victim of the off-by-one error" Denney

RW...Thanks for the "slap up side the head"! I did a recount and yes, the spindle IS 6 TPI...measured the dia. and it's 2 3/8".

The one on E-Bay is very nice, I sure wish it was $100 rather then $200...

Thanks for the reality check...

Scroll through this guys stuff on E-bay...Used Tooling Holy Smokes his stuff is pricy! He has the faceplate mentioned earlier along with tons of stuff but not what I'm willing to pay for used...

Scroll through this guys stuff on E-bay...Used Tooling Holy Smokes his stuff is pricy! He has the faceplate mentioned earlier along with tons of stuff but not what I'm willing to pay for used...
Look at this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1155004154...XbgKuQd6XZw/C81cV0/CJF3WU=|tkp:Bk9SR8KTjvmwYQ

It is list as 2-1/4 but looking at the scale in the pics (poorly positioned, so it's a bit of guesswork), the dimension is at least 2-3/8. It may be larger even than that but that would surprise me. If it seems too risky, ask the seller for a better measurement, or at least a better picture with the scale actually going through the center and photographed straight on.

Also, I've had some success contacting the sellers on ebay that offer parts for an SB16 if they have something specific, and sometimes they do (I'm only looking for items that have shared part numbers with my 14-1/2, of course). Machinerynj and (especially recommended) damienpdr are current sellers who have stuff. The former had the faceplate I bought that was listed as 2-1/4 but was really 2-3/8--I returned it but I don't see it listed again. You might ask him. Damien is a wonderful seller; not cheap but he knows these lathes well and nothing I've bought from him has been less than perfect.

Rick "who'd be keeping all this a secret if he hadn't already cleaned these guys out of their appropriate stuff" Denney

I was scrounging around at our steel yard and found an 8" round steel blank 5/8" thick. I bought it and I'm gonna make my own face plate for the lathe. I have lots of scrap slugs and I'm planning on welding one on the back, boring and threading 2 3/8" 6 tpi... and machine the whole thing true.

But never having or used a face plate/dog plate, how far should the face of the plate protrude from the threads of the spindle? This will determine how thick the slug on the back will be.

ALSO...
It's becoming difficult to impossible to locate a spindle sleeve for this machine. I'm thinking about machining a plug with the required taper for the spindle end and turn a center on the other end...and not worry about having a MT #3 center.

This is all pretty ambitious for me but it's winter and the shop is warm...LOL Plus all I have to lose is time and scrap. I always have a good time puttering in the shop.

Any help is appreciated!

Paul

Back