Lathe Moving Help South SF Bay Area

Yes, bent controls and leadscrew. That’s the easy stuff, part of the gap flew off on the highway on the trip home. :(

John

So, seeking opinions on wether to try and find the missing piece from the gap. My sense is that it’s pointless because even if I find it fixing something like that would be even harder than finding a replacement and scraping it in

yes I have contacted Bolton but not holding out much hope.

John

So, seeking opinions on wether to try and find the missing piece from the gap. My sense is that it’s pointless because even if I find it fixing something like that would be even harder than finding a replacement and scraping it in

yes I have contacted Bolton but not holding out much hope.

John

Man that really sucks. Did you go back and look for it? Is it possible that this lathe crosses to a grizzly lathe? They might be able to help you out get a rough one.

Worst case you could machine from billet or get one cast. Lots of work to fit it, but it would make a great project thread on here. How did it go flying? Was it not bolted down?

I would think that the gap must have been removed and just set back roughly in place and even then, I would expect it to be heavy enough so that it would not bounce out. Unfortunately , figuring out HOW it came out does not help in replacing it. Maybe you can find a similar lathe that you can buy for parts.

It was cracked at the bolt holes. Only the front part came off. Was thinking of going back to look but unsure it’s worth the effort (or the risk, it’s on a busy freeway.

john

Likely there is a guy waiting with the part in hand and ready to hand out a ticket for an unsecured load!
Pierre

It was nice meeting the two of you, and this made a really good excuse for my wife and I to get out of the house and away from the children for 2 days. It was a very nice day for a drive up the coast on our way home.

The more I think about it the more I think what a freak thing losing a piece of the gap was. Hope you are able to source a replacement from Bolton or Grizzly.

Back