Lathe Rebuild, or Upgrade.

I can’t help you with the HVL-H, but I have a PM1236T and am very happy with it. I’ve never run a Hardinge, so can’t say how it compares, but overall I think it is a very good machine.

You can also look at Eisen machines, they come from the same factory as the PM Taiwanese lathes.

I believe early on you said one of the biggest problems was that the tailstock was loose. By that, do you mean the tailstock ram is loose in the casting? If so, consider having the ram hard chromed and ground oversize. Then have the casting bored and honed to a precision fit.

I did this to a Bridgeport clone (Ramco) when I discovered that the head had been bored oversized and tapered (large at the bottom!) so the quill wobbled around. I had the quill hard chromed and ground .030 oversize, and had a precision rebuilder match the head to the quill. It worked perfectly.

If you have graduations on the ram, you will probably have to deepen them a little. The chrome shop will grind the base metal back true round using the tapered bore and (usually) a taper that is already put in the back end of the ram (bigger than the threads) so they do it between centers and keep everything true in line.

If the base of the tailstock has worn down enough to drop the centerline of the ram below the centerline of the spindle, that is beyond my experience level.

I believe early on you said one of the biggest problems was that the tailstock was loose. By that, do you mean the tailstock ram is loose in the casting? If so, consider having the ram hard chromed and ground oversize. Then have the casting bored and honed to a precision fit.
Hi,

With this old lathe, it's more than the tailstock. The biggest issues is the ways are horribly worn. Everything else is loose. It's way overdue to be reworked. I'd gladly throw some money at it to have it fixed up. Maybe not pay to paint it, but if it were made mechanically sound it would be a great lathe.

Dan

So, to report what happened...

The lathe did get a rebuild. All surfaces machined and scraped, etc. It even survived the trip home. The guys doing the work said it was worn about .030 between the bed and carriage.

Once home, it took some time to get it level. Spend about two weeks fiddling with it. Found some paint between the cabinet and bed that needed to be removed, etc. This crazy machine has 8 leveling screws under the cabinets. As much of a PITA as it is to level, it gives many many degrees of flexibility to true it up. Ended up cutting steel pads to sit on delrin blocks with very thin rubber between them for leveling feet. Stout enough to spread the load, but won't slide, etc. With a test bar, and tenths indicator there isn't any change in 10" of bar.

Bar1.jpgBar2.jpg
I see about 1/4 to 1/3 of a tenth if I stand on the floor near the tailstock!

Overall very happy with the decision. Finally had a chance to turn some parts on it. Cuts nice, much less chatter with heavy cuts, and no taper. The limiting factor in hitting a diameter is 5um cross feed scale. Eventually I'll pick up a 1um scale, which should help a bunch. This machine will hit tenths easily now, just need the scale to see it!
DRO1.jpg

The last missing item for the lathe is a steady rest. Picked one up, that's just a bit too tall. It looks to be a really nicely made little rest. The plan is to fit it to the lathe, by cutting and TIG brazing or nickel welding it back together. At that point I'll body fill the cut, and repaint it to match color wise. It only needs to be shortened by about .875". It's a nice rest with very fine adjustment in the screws.

SideProject1.jpg

Well done. The economics of rebuilding as good old machine are not bad with the price of new so much higher. Glad you are happy. I hope my CVA comes out like yours. Dave

Niiice result! I was thinking of doing the same, but there are all sorts of good machines coming up for sale here. Was the cost competitive with the HLVH option?

Was the cost competitive with the HLVH option?
It was quite a bit cheaper than a HLVH in reasonable condition, around half the cost or so. This machine did have good spindle bearings, and all of the other mechanics are in good shape. It was just worn. I priced a new higher end import with similar tooling, again near half the cost. Overall I'm very happy with the decision. These are quite nice lathes for a small shop.

The plan is to address some of the weaknesses with modern technology. I'll eventually fit an ELS, either a kit or home brew design. That addresses metric threading, and other oddball threads. Most likely a VFD for speed control, eventually also.

I should add, I even decided against painting it. I wanted it back in the shop, and the pain't isn't horrible. I opted to leave the patina as is, and just use it as a functional lathe.

Dan

Last edited:
Dan,
Who did the grinding & scraping in?
Maybe I missed it

Dan,
Who did the grinding & scraping in?
Maybe I missed it
A&D Machine, in Roberts, WI.

They are great guys. But be forewarned, they are busy. Generally they're very slow to get back to you when you reach out to them. After seeing the shop, the process, and learning about the niche market they serve I understand. I think they prefer to spend time rebuilding machines rather than talking on the phone, which I completely understand!

I would send them a machine again in an instant, if I need another one rebuilt. (They might get my Bridgeport, eventually too...)

The cost is a consideration. It was not cheap. They did not give me a firm quote, just an estimate. They basically bill on the time and materials, so in my case the numbers came a bit over the estimate.

In the end, I feel I got what I paid for, and am happy with it. The machine is tight. This is the right lathe for what I do, and the space I want to put it in. So all that weighed into the decision.

Dan

A and D has my CVA. Hope I'm next in line. There aren't many old father - son businesses left. Dave

Back