Lathe software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I completely understand their position, I must also point out "that's the business you've chosen to be in".

Trials are very common. They could simply not offer support on trials. But to buy something and find you absolutely hate it, or it just doesn't do what you assumed it would, is unreasonable.

A friend of mine opened a shop and complained about the hours. I said, "You chose retail. You have to be open when your customers want to shop. Why are you so surprised?"

Same applies here. Software trials are very, very common. I also don't see why they complain about the trials that go unused. That has no affect on them other than the download. I would be happy to compare it with LinuxCNC and hand-coding. There are several choices out there in this price range. Do they all expect me to buy each one?

Lastly, demonstrations can be setup to show whatever you want. Using the product is the only way to know if it's for you.

John,

Yes, it does look interesting and that one reason I end up back looking at it. As for an "active user base" are you talking about Kipware or LinuxCNC?
Because if you're talking about Kipware point me to it because I haven't found anything yet.
LinuxCNC has lots of developers constantly extend and refining it as well as many, many users around the world. Plus you know it’s going to be around a long time and will never raise prices ;)

john

I have many applications that have not had a "Trial" process. I agree that it can make it harder to decide but over time, I have learned to evaluate software based on screen shots, Youtube videos, live demonstrations etc. If they can't convince me through these methods then I don't buy their software.

This is the first time I've really ever looked at conversational programming software. I have mastercam, but it's not very easy to use.

I'm working on a 7 and a 9 start threads for a speedometer drive gear and I've been playing with it for a week. The graphics in mastercam don't show the multiple start which is disappointing.

I've been watching the kipware vids and am actually impressed fo the low price of the software. Lite is $175, full is $395 and when I logged on they had a popup that offered 25% off the full version, and that's for two seats. So for $300 that's not bad when you consider I paid $10k for the lathe. That's just 3%. I know I'm not a heavy hitter as far as money goes, but for that price it's definitely worth considering.

GARYLA: I've found G-Code wizard. What other software have you looked at in the same price range?

Last edited:
I asked about a trail version and this is the response I got just a few minutes ago.

Identical cut and paste to the email I got. Not very helpful, but they get to run their business as they see fit. It's possible they don't have the ability to create a time-limited demo version, but that's pure speculation.

I think I'm going to go for the KipwareT full, no live tool option. I'm already spending real coin on an F360 PP - and I came to the conclusion that what I want is something for quick and dirty turning.

If I want something complicated with radial/axial features I'm going to model it anyway in F360. And the longer I do this machining thing the bigger the money numbers get... $300 doesn't seem like very much now to risk.

LinuxCNC has lots of developers constantly extend and refining it as well as many, many users around the world. Plus you know it’s going to be around a long time and will never raise prices
Forgive me if I missed an implied point, but I think there may be a disconnect here. KipwareT (or M) are G-code generators. LinuxCNC is a control system. Kipware can't control a machine - only output G-code to the machine control system.

Switching to LinuxCNC would be more of a machine retrofit - hardware/electrical/control system.

But I do agree if an OEM control is that wonky retrofitting to LinuxCNC or another system which accepts standard G-code is an attractive option.

Alloy, that's their standard response to any enquiry about a"trial version". I have the same email word to word.

Spumco is right, going to LinuxCNC would mean a retrofit and I'm not going to do that.

Looking at the KipwareT it's self looks reasonably easy to learn but their G-code converter looks a bit confusing. I don't want something I need a masters degree in just to use, and yes I know I could hand-code the machine but I'm not that good with G-code.

Ok, bought it last night. KipwareT, full version, no live tools.

Installation was painless although it's annoying I can't change the installation directory - there are now 6 Kipware folders in my root directory. Just inflames my OCD a little :)

Kenntech had an activation code to me within a couple hours.

Fiddling with it tonight, wil report back with impressions.

Spumco, I will be interested to see how you go with it. What machine are you using it on? did you need to get the G-code converter?

It's an Emco 325-II with Fanuc 21TB control. Emco modified the control language a bit to add live tool/C-axis features.

So far Kipware isn't bad. I haven't done much besides creating some very basic stuff. The interface is a bit clunky in places, and the skimpy user manual & videos are already starting to annoy me.

Interface:
- Tabbing through the fields in an operation (or other window) highlights the existing contents, but clicking on the field with the mouse cursor does not. This means if you click with the mouse you have to click, then backspace to remove the existing data before entering new data. Or you wind up appending stuff and get "0.050.025". My guess is that this software was intended for mouseless shop computers - design choice and not a 'bug'
- The toolpath generator is also sort-of mouseless. Once you start the plot you can't use the mouse to start/stop/change anything. You must use the keyboard to advance during single-block.
- Also weird in the TP generator: zooming & relocating require you to click on a "zoom" button or a "relocate" button. Why not just zoom/move all the time with the scroll wheel? Again, not a bug but an odd design choice.

Nothing wrong with the software but I can't find an explanation on some things:
- Is there a setting for spindle speed clamp? (G50, max speed during CSS)
- What happens when I turn on both Roughing and Finishing buttons in an operation?
- What's the best practice for roughing/finishing? One operation with two elements, or two operations?

These aren't showstoppers. Just observations from someone with about an hour of unsupervised fiddling.

Spumco, At least you have a Funuc you shouldn't need the G-code converter. I wonder if the software was once a Dos base then converted to Windows? that could explain the clunkiness maybe.

Have you made anything with it yet?

One of the big things for me is I worry about the lack of explanation. Looking at the youtube videos they seem to just rush and brush over parts of the software and take it for granted you already know what you are doing, which to me is no good for a newbie (like me). Are the training videos any different now you have bought the software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back