Lay down threading tool questions...

Somebody has been watching GavinGoob on youtube. While I can't disagree with Bruce, he does mainly CNC work except at home. Long life on tooling with minimal wear to correct is his goal. The tenon thread is not the most critical portion of the accuracy equation. I get a great fit while using regular cheap laydown inserts. I use same style for 16 to 40 tpi. Would a UN style improve on a near perfect class 2A/2B thread? Maybe on a critical fastener that was stressed to the max. I'm sure BAT machines actions are thread milled with same style of insert. If you have deep pockets and like to change tools depending on thread pitch then they are probably for you. I'm sure Gavin will have another video in a week or so where he is suddenly an expert on them and will have recommendations

Bat Machine in-depth

Not a big fan of Gavins channel. I got the inserts at the recomendation of Keith Weil (KW Precision) long before that video came out.

Gavin's product endorsements reminds me of this.

You should ask Keith what brand holders, shims, inserts he uses.

Accurate.
He does good work and covers it well, but the 90 percent of his channel that's just product showcase is annoying.

Accurate.
He does good work and covers it well, but the 90 percent of his channel that's just product showcase is annoying.
Probably why I never watch anything by him. I hate those channels.

The range in pricing for Carmex inserts leads me to believe there are fake ones out there. Dave

The range in pricing for Carmex inserts leads me to believe there are fake ones out there. Dave
Just because they are fake doesn't mean they're crap. I got some "Lamina" inserts that were way too cheap economical to be genuine, but they are really good inserts just the same. Looking for more.

I've got several packs of inserts that are either stolen or knock offs (all from ebay) - If we were running them in a CNC they might not hold up but for a home gamer they're fine.

Save some cash when cutting L/H external threads by using a R/H internal toolholder with a R/H internal insert on the O/D.

Back